At what age did your child have their first dental appointment?

My son is almost 9 months and just a couple of weeks ago got his first two teeth. i'm wondering when I should make a dentists' appointment. Maybe it's way too early, and I'll be asking his pediatrician at his 9 month appointment, but I was wondering when you took your babies in for the first time. Thanks!

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• In my area, they don't see children before age 3. The reason stated that it was too traumatic for them and they won't sit still anyway. I brush my daughter's teeth at least twice every day and she doesn't eat candy of any kind or drink juice of any kind. So, I'm not worried.

I think your little guy is pretty young for an appt, but maybe in your area they see them younger.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• At 2 unless you notice something going on.
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 10:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Hailey had her first dentist appt. at one. That is when our insurance would let her go.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 10:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• When his first tooth came in.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• The Air Force base Dental Clinic in Germany saw kids after age 4. They had trouble with the x-ray cardboard things fitting into the kids' little mouths so they didn't get x-rays until we moved back to the states and I could take them to a civlian Dentist . One of my kids needed a tooth pulled , a space maintainer and some cavities filled. The other two were fine. You just brush , floss and do the best you can.
    Anonymous

• Generally they recommend after age 3 unless something is going on. My son is 3 (just turned) and we will be making his first appointment within the next month.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• The pediatric dentist that my SD use to go to told me that the first dentist appointment should be age 2. I need to get my DD an appointment made since she will be 2 in less than a month.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• 3 it's required when they start head start.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Mine started seeing the DDS at age 2. I used to work in a general practice dentist office and usually we would see the child at age 2-3 for the first visit-- unless there was a problem or emergency situation.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:16 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• mine started at 3 y/o it's what the pediatrition recomended.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:41 AM on Jun. 9, 2010