why do you

why do people refer to "god" as "my god"---isn't he everyones "god"??? not just yours??? regardless of a persons religion--aint he still everyones "god"????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Considering that everyone creates their OWN version of god inside their own mind--I think the description of "my god" is totally appropriate. Because their god isn't like anyone else's, even those within their belief system. Good, loving people have a good, loving father. Nasty, vengeful people have a nasty, vengeful god. We take our god-force energy and shape our deity in our own image--not the other way around.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I don't....I've only heard it used when someone elses God is different from the person talking.
    Anonymous

• Although most people believe in a universal Sovereign I don't think we all believe in the same god. Also some faiths have more than one god or a trinity with three gods so no not everyone believes in the same god.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I say.. the gods I follow.. or worship....
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 10:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Because if someone is from a different religion that has a different belief of who GOD is then I would say "my God". Yes he is the God of everyone who believes in him not me personally. But I don't think I pray to the same God that other people say they pray too.
    Anonymous

• I say it mainly b/c even though God is EVERYONES God....he is also my personal God....My God :)

Anonymous

• a lot of atheist are guilty of this in the revers way saying something like YOUR god
    Anonymous

• I always assume that God is everyones' God. ANd God has different names, depending on which religion is describing God.
    Anonymous

Well seeing as atheists don't believe in any god it is important to discern whose god we are talking about. Furthermore in discussions one persons idea of god may differ from anothers thus "YOUR" god to discern not only who we are speaking to but their idealogy of said god as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I see it as a simple and easy way to make the distinction between "my God" and "your God." For instance if a Christian were talking to a Pagan, and one brought up God, there is reason to believe they are speaking of two different Gods, I believe they are... So stating "my God" is an easy and simple way to make that distinction in conversation. I think it's also an easy way to say "what I believe god to be." For example if two Christians were speaking of beliefs and they disagree on something, it would be a much easier way to state "MY God wouldn't do that" than it is to state "What I believe God to be is different than that" even if the meaning is meant to be the same or the second would be more accurate... It's just an easier way to get certain points across.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2010