I put a deposit down an rental tonight...can I get it back?

I thought I was not approved for another place and then AFTER I sign a lease and out down a deposit for a different property she called and said I was good. Can I get my deposit back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• You should have waited. You are stuck in a lease now........I wouldn't just worry about your deposit!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• No, you will have to walk away from the deposit.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Many times you have a 24 hour opportunity to change your mind but I'd read the lease. If it doesn't have a cancellation clause then google your state's Tenant Landlord Act. I'd do it tonight so you can call first thing in the morning to cancel the lease.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• you are going to loose the deposit and possibly have to pay a fee for breaking the lease. unless the landlord is EXTREMELY forgiving.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• When I put my deposit down for this place I had ten days to get it back. However, I hadn't signed the lease at that time.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Depends on the landlord. I would give it back to you but with a sad face heh. I'm a landlord in IL good luck!!
    rosadnr

Answer by rosadnr at 11:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I think you have 3 days to rescind a contract. Look at the fine print on your contract. You might have to write a letter to rescind it. They will give you the run around. The more research you do, the more prepared you will be when they try to tell you no.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Was it a check? Call and cancel it if it was. Also I am quite certain that you have THREE days to claim BUYERS REMORSE when buying things, and I'm quite certain that would include leasing things too. Some states give you more than three days. Anyway give them a letter saying that you have buyers remorse, or something along those lines, cancel the check, send the letter certified mail and call them and tell them what happened. They will probably let you out without a problem.
    Anonymous