VBAC question

Did anyone have severe HELLP syndrome w/ their first and go on to have a successful VBAC w/ baby #2? If so, are there anyways to help yourself to prepare for the VBAC so that you don't go into hypertension?

Christina7407

Asked by Christina7407 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• How far along were you when you developed help? Your also realize that even if you doge the help bullet you more than likely 60-80% will develope pre-e. if you do, i really dont see a doctor letting you try for a vbac at tha time. the risk with both the pre e complications and the v-bac are HUGE! dont get me wrong i am all for vbacks but be prepared that should things go down that road again then your birth plans will have to be adjusted. I would have a very frank talk with your doctor about the risk of pre e again. make a plan with them and your mfm that if everything goes good that you be giving the right to have a vbac. good luck mama. may you have a very boring healthy 9 monthes! that stays free of pre e!!!!!!
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 11:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I had my dd at 28 wks gest. They said that I have a 25% chance of getting it again. However, it will not be as severe and I will go longer in my pregnancy. But probably won't make it to term. MFM did say that IF I do make it to 37 wks they will prb induce me and let me labor but that I have a 95% chance of another c-section. I just hope that if I do talk to them they will honor my wishes. Thanks! I hope it's uneventful this time around!
    Christina7407

Answer by Christina7407 at 11:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• that is an extremely low number according to everything i have read and my mfm. are you seeing a regular ob? if so NO!!!!!! go to a high risk doctor! you have prob a 25% of help but a way higher chance of pre-e again. i developed severe pre-e with my ds at 32 weeks and delevered at 34 weeks. my odds are somewhere in the 40%. howver my doctor said that all i should focas on is 37 weeks. hugs to you! hope for a vbac and pray for a full term baby.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 11:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Join ICAN-- international cesarean awareness network. They have a very active web and real-life community.

You need a better doctor. Someone who specializes In VBAC care with a low repeat c-section rate. It sounds to me like they are throwing out numbers and trying to get you to plan for surgery rather than focus on the day by day steps to having a healthy
    Pregnancy.

Diet really is everything. Watermelon and cucumber will bring down BP.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• econdi, have you ever had preeclampsia? its not a joke! it is one of the real medical reasons to either have a cesarean section or to be induced. she needs a high risk doctor to over see her care. and no pre e is not cause by eating too much salt or bad diet. i ate extremely healthy with my son, no fast food, fried foods , very low sodium intake and all i really enjoyed was fruit and veggies. and nothing stopped me from getting pre e. the op got it way worse and earlier, she will very likey get at min of pre e, cause she had help syndrome. if she developes it again she needs to be mentaly prepared tha a csection is the best option at that point. if by some chance her pregnacy goes wonderfully (LIKE EVERY PREVIOUS PRE E MAMA WANTS) then she should definatly have a v bac at that point its healthy for both of them. i agree that it is horrible how doctors today pucsh unnessary inductions a c-sections and make it a nightmare to
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 1:31 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• have a vbac. however there are a few exceptions. without there interventions most pre e mom and babys would die.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 1:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Diet plays a major role in the development of HELLP and pre-e. Check out www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com. It gives a lot of info. Take good care of yourself, eat right, exercise, join ICAN and you'll increase your VBAC chances. Also, induction in a VBAC mom is a NO-NO. The unnatural contractions caused by the pit increase your chance of uterine rupture--the biggest *risk* that doctors/hospitals use as an excuse for not "allowing" VBACs.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 8:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2010