Telling the parents

Ok, so my question is. Is there anyone out there who when they went to tell their parent's about baby #1 they were not receptive? IE- My dh and I told our parents that we were expecting baby #1 and they were not happy at all. They said "we'll get through this" and MIL gave us the 3rd degree (b/c we weren't married at the time BUT we were 25 and 35 yrs old). So, we are expecting #2 and don't know how to tell them b/c they won't be your typical fam where everyone jumps for joy and says congrats and all the happy stuff that comes along w/ telling family. Any suggestions?

Christina7407

Asked by Christina7407 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• have their attitudes towards you changed since the last one or are they gonna roll their eyes no matter how you tell em? If that's the case send em a text or an email & tell em since I knew you wouldn't be happy anyways I decided I don't care.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Don't tell them lol I wouldn't. That's how we felt with #4....our twin boys will be 18 months when #4 comes along so we thought everyone would think we were having too many kids way too fast....blah blah blah. Really it's none of thier business until you want it to be!
    Anonymous

• the only person in my family ( mind you I have a VERY large family) who was excited was my mom & step-dad.My IL's were pissed.
    Just tell them. they will get over it, if not then they don't have to be part of Baby's life. Simple as that.
    Congrats btw!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 10:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• They will def roll their eyes and say "Why? you have a beautiful daughter. What more do you need"?
    Christina7407

Answer by Christina7407 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Give it to them in a way that there is no room for misery - show up at their house with a bottle of champagne and balloons, tell them you have the most delicious, exciting news and give it to them like that. Invite your brother or sister if there are any, make it the most exciting announcement you've ever made... or send them a bunch of flowers with a congrats card on it, saying you are thrilled and delighted to announce that baby no 2 will be joining your family in a few monts, congrats on becoming grandparents again - there's no room for misery guts and moaning. (It doesn't matter that you and I both know they'll whinge and bitch to each other, but you don't have to hear it or see it) Good Luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Thanks ladies! We are going to wait awhile to tell them. But I'm going to start showing pretty soon. I'm already uncomfortable in my everyday clothes and I'm only 5.5 wks preg!
    Christina7407

Answer by Christina7407 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Myheartx4- Thanks! We were gonna wait till DD's bday party on July 11 so that they are forced to congratulate us due to our friends congratulating us :)
    Christina7407

Answer by Christina7407 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• hell my dd is 3 and i'm pregnant and my mom still cant come to terms that i even got pregnant. she loves my dd but she just cant get use to it. this time when i told her i called asap when i was still really excited and let her see that side of it. i think it helped a little.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• With number one I got a similar reaction because I was not married. I was 19 years-old and a sophomore in college. It was hard for my family to take. We got married and got pregnant with number two while we were living at my MIL's house and really had no means to take care of another baby. They were all positive reactions because we were married even though we weren't in an ideal situation to care for a baby. Anyway...they did end up being happy for us with number one. The first time we talked, they were upset. The second time we talked, it was excitement for the new baby. Ultimately, a baby is a blessing and gift and should always be celebrated IMO.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I would do it via email or letter and state outright that you are very excited and happy and hope they are too and anything other than well-wishes will be ignored. Let their weird feelings be their own and be joyous!
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2010