How to you make a toddler understand the difference between a no-no touch & whats ok?

I was reading another post about teaching kids about sex, and thats not my problem. I think my three year old is old enough for me to teach about no-no touches, but Im scared she'll misunderstand and tell me someone has touched her when it was innocent.. (example=cleaning her private parts during a bath or wiping her bottom when she goes potty) My mom was molested at a young age and she always made sure my sisters and me knew to tell if someone touched us the wrong way. She was overly paranoid, and now i am to..

MayBaby0507

Asked by MayBaby0507 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, the deal is, if you make it a big issue, it will become a big issue. The best thing to do is to leave it alone. You can just simply say, this is your private area and only you and I can touch there, no one else. You have to be simple at that age. Don't dwell on it.
    Anonymous

• teach her the correct terminolgy for it. talk about the ppl that should be helping her clean it, explain the difference between a wipe & penetration (all in age appropriate terms of course). teach her that she should ALWAYS come to you if ANYONE makes her feel uncomfortable for ANY reason. Molestors don't just start touching kids (most of the time, there's always exceptions), there's a whole build up of the secrets & the threats. Teach your kid the difference between a suprise secret like a birthday present & a bad secret like "don't tell your mommy I want you to...." always take the time to listen to her concerns or she'll stop trying to talk to you. limit the # of ppl that should be touching her @ all for any reason. talk about why private parts are private. teach her not to go w/ ppl for candy or to see their puppy w/out checking w/ you 1st, NO MATTER WHAT!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I always taught my kids that nobody but me, Daddy, and the Dr should be touching or looking at them where their bathing suit covers.

Answer by missanc at 6:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• my children know about the no-no touch, but my son is even uncomfortable now with the doctor doing a physical, when they check the pee-pee! I had a talk with him and explained that if I am there that I would not let anyone harm him! I guess its just a learning process! Good luck!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• both my children know that no one at all is aloud to touch thier private areas (and they know where those are) except me or daddy and the doctor ONLY if I am there. my 2 year old doesnt quite get it as much as my 5 year old. I dont make it a big issue though because I know who they are with at all times and they are NEVER without me. No one else is aloud to bath them except for me or my husband and no one else takes them to the bathroom. Well my husband wont take my daughter to the bathroom in public so its just me who takes her, or occasionally if we are with my mother , my mother will take her since my 5 year old is all about going in teh stall alone.
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 3:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My two year old is too young to understand (she is never out of mine or DH's sight anyway, unless she's with Grandma). We started telling our five year old when he was three that it is his private area and nobody is allowed to touch it and if anyone ever asks or tries to he is to scream NO at the top of his lungs and run to us (or the nearest safe adult if we're not there). I was molested when I was a kid so I am pretty paranoid about this issue.
    Mama2JoshKatie

Answer by Mama2JoshKatie at 11:00 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I can understand about what you all are saying, now a days people are quick to judge others now a days for example i was talking to one of my friends and she said she was being charged with child endangerment due to her taking pictures of her kids in the bath tub. Have we came to the point ware we cant take mommy BRAGGING PICTURES ANY MORE ????
    mommy_time_out

Answer by mommy_time_out at 1:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2010