How do I get my cat to come home at night? Is there a way?

I have two male cats; I've had them since they were born but had to give their mom away when she developed cancer - I found a woman who took her in and paid for the surgery to have the cancer removed and I hear she is doing well. Since they were kittens they've been outdoor cats, coming and going when they please. Usually they do come home to sleep, as well as eat and get some cuddle time. I'm pretty sure they both think they're gaurd dogs because during the day they sit amongst the yard watching the kids, if I leave the yard to go to my aunt's house (who lives next door) or to the bottom of the driveway my gray cat follows me. His name is Aaron and he's always been MY cat. The problem is he was born blind in one eye and doesn't seem to grasp the reflexes and intelligence of most cats. Sometimes during the summer he'll sleep outside at night in the middle of the road...last year my neighbor told me of several times (continued)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Pets

• ...that she was woken up by people honking their horns, getting out of their cars and yelling at my cat to move. He doesn't always move and she told me they eventually gave up with the yelling and either drove around him or actually picked him up and moved him out of the road. I worry that one of these times he's going to get hit. Not everyone stops at the stop sign, especially at night.
    Anonymous

• put treats out for him every night & call him, then put him up. might take him a bit to get the idea...
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Quit letting him out. The lady a block over from us lets her cat out all the time and I'm forever chasing the thing out of my yard - it drives my dog nuts and if it shits in my garden - well, cat shit is toxic and I don't need my kids eating that!
    Anonymous

• ONly feed your cats at night, that way they will be ready to come in.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 12:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Get them fixed if they aren't already and keep them inside.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2010