What is a good allergy med for people who are allergic to cats and dogs?

My SO is allergic to cats and dogs, I have two cats and a dog. The cats are outdoor and only come in to eat - they both have areas outside to sleep or they sleep on the porch. The dog also has her own bed so it's not hard to get rid of pet dander and fur in the house but he still has mild hives...however he'll be moving in with me and my kids at the end of the month and his allergies will probably get worse with the longer exposure to the animals. I'm hoping he builds up a tolerance eventually (my mom got us a cat when we were kids despite my dad's cat allergy and now he can be around cats without any reaction at all) but in the mean time I was wondering what would be a good allergy medicine my SO could take.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Pets

• I like zyrtec
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• If he has allergies bad enough to get hives they could kill him. You need to get rid of your pets or your SO. I know it's hard. I found out my grandson is allergic to cats and I had to give my 5 cats back to the rescure organizations they came from. Cats should not live outside. It is not safe. The life expectancy of a cat ourside is around 18 mo. If a cat comes in the house at all it can take a year before all the cat allergen is out of the house.

It's possible to be allergice to some dogs and not others. I'm allergic to golden retrievers. I have a poodle, one of the least allergenic breads and a chihuahua another bread that is less allergenic. My grandson isn't allergic to dogs at all. He had tests.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:02 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Since your SO's allergies are so bad he should see an allergist. The allergist will probably recommend he carry an epipen with him. Hives are an indication of an IgE mediated allergy if you want to read more about it. That's different than sneezing and itchy eyes. IgE mediated allergies can get worse with no warning and the person's throat can swell, they can have difficulty breathing, they can go into shock, and they can die. You dad's allergies may have been the sneezing , itchy eyes kind of allergies. IgE mediated allergies in adults don't go away.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:10 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I love Zyrtec- don't leave home without it :-) Hypoallergenic pets might be in order - as much as you love them, you are choosing an animal over your SO's breathing and comfort.....
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 1:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• There is no such thing as a hypoallergenic pet. It's not the fur/hair that people react to; it's the shed skin cells and saliva.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Zertec. I get the generic from Costo and it's 1/10 the cost. But it works.

Claritan and all the other didn't work for me.
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 8:39 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i would get rid of the pets.
    i am surprised your so is willing to move into a house with pets. he must really love you : )
    really, why burden his body with a constant flow of drugs?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 9, 2010