This cat is TERRIFIED of me and my DS! What can I do to help her? :[

She's a rescue cat from a shelter, and I'm at a complete loss as to what to do, what's going on, or anything.
We rescued her about a month ago, and she was fine! Adjusting okay, tolerating our dogs well and my curious toddler. She was using the litter box awesome, eating great, sunning herself out in the open, etc, etc. She did have a few quirks, like she HAD to drink out of the faucet while it was running, you had to feed her from a certain side of her bowl, had to use a certain litter, etc. Normal pet quirks.
The past 4-5 days, she's been out of sorts. She hasn't been coming out of her hiding spot (underneath the armchair) for almost 20 hours of the day. She still uses the litter box, but she's been pooping in VERY random spots. She absolutely shakes when I or my DS come near her. She'll eat only when she's absolutely certain everyone's gone to bed, including our dogs. Cont...

ManicMomma02

Asked by ManicMomma02 at 12:55 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Pets

• At this point, my DH is the only one who can handle her in any way. She refuses to drink from the faucet if I turn it on, but will if my DH does, and only if he sets her on the counter.
    She yowls like she's been shot when she sees anybody but my DH.
    We took her to the vet, just to make sure, and everything's come out normal. She's fine.

What the hell could be going on? Nothing's changed. No routine changes. No strangers coming in. She's not an outdoor cat because her previous owners had her declawed - front and back paws... My son has never been rough with this cat, nor have I. What the hell??? Help.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• both of my cats are rescues, as well as both my dogs...you can never tell what a poor animal has been through...something may have triggered her fear that you didn't even realize. I would confine her to a room or a small area of the house where it is quiet...no dogs, no toddler, and just go in a visit her throughout th eday....talking in soft voices and calming her. cats can take a LONG time to adjust but it's best just to let them be in seclusion for a while until she feels like associating again..that has been my experience good luck and kudos for rescuing :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:00 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• oh poor baby, try to confine her to a quiet room, with her food & water in one corner, litter tray in opposite. Keep the door shut. When you get a few minutes here or there, just go in and sit on the floor, talking gently but not trying to touch or reach her - she might not want you to even look her in the eye which can seem threatening to her. Just keep being gentle,& soothing. When baby goes to bed, go into the room & read your book, or open the door to the room & let her decide if she will talk to you, don't force her or approach her, let her decide. She is having a stress breakdown, if she seemed happy to begin with she should settle back down eventually - have you changed anything that has a smell like fabric softener, cats are very sensitive &if you've changed to something that reminds her of a bad experience (like being in a shelter with lots of noise &stress, she might be stressing at that. Good Luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 1:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2010