Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How am I going to live?

I'm going to be moving out of my father's house soon with my fourteen month old daughter. The rent is $550 a month and I can barely afford that. I have no other choice. I'm really not used to living on a budget, I haven't lived by myself, and worst of all I'm a full time student with no transportation. I take the bus and I use financial aid for necessities, but its summer time so I have no aid right now. I get $560 from government assistance, that will be for the roof over our heads. What do I do? Baby's dad not in the picture by the way.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (23)
  • Hi. Are you a young mom because there is lots of places that can help you?

    Answer by lendales_mommi at 1:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • i'm 20 is that young?

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • Kinda lol me 2!!! There is places in my state that help youth with things.I would know i work at a youth shelter that will help out with clothes for baby, bus tokens or bus pass and also help you look for a job. because you already know that $ aint gonna cover it.Also some times food banks have things like diapers and formula. And this place where i got my GED also helps out with things like that dont be afraid to ask for help. Closed mouthes don't get fed and your baby deserves the best.

    Answer by lendales_mommi at 2:04 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • what about getting a job!?

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • at the shelter you have to be under 21 but you do not have to be homeless to get help can you get on any housing assistance?

    Answer by lendales_mommi at 2:06 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • daycare assistance?

    Answer by lendales_mommi at 2:07 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • Find your local food banks, find a local church to join, tell your friends what you need. Make sure you get to know your neighbors and be a good neighbor! As soon as you get some money, start building your pantry. Good luck, you can do this!

    Answer by Whatkids at 2:09 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • well you must save up the money for the rent and set that aside...what is leftover you can go from there...internet can be done from the library and you won't have any phones or anything else....what you need to do is find out where your local housing authority office is and apply for low income housing. Google "housing authority and your zipcode" and you should come up with something or get on section 8 housing, which is different from the housing authority. just dont spend any money until the rent is paid then you also have a light bill too. it will be tough but you will grow from this and you will become stronger in the end! call your community resource center and find out what you can recieve for help.
    also if you look in the yellow pages of a phone book and find "social services" that will give you alot of info on where to turn

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • If you are in the Minneapolis/St.paul area there is a place called "the Jeremiah program", google that too if you are in that area.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

  • Ditch the $550 place. Your daughter is small and in a crib, you need a sleeping room. You renting 1 room in a house, sharing kitchen and common areas. Depending on your city you're looking at maybe $300 or so? Less if you can offer things like lawn mowing, etc...... this will likely include your portion of heat/lights/gas and possibly phone.

    Answer by hibbingmom at 2:14 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.