Would you let your 16 year old get a tattoe?

My son wants one and i'm not sure I want to hears advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes I would. My son has one. I dont see anything wrong with it. Nothing at all. You just have to make your son or daughter put it some where it can be hiden, and most importantly something that they will not regret later on in life! You also have to be there with your child, do not let them get it from someones home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Hard question probably not
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• sixteen is fine. I dont see anything wrong with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• your sons brain is not done growing.... the last pieces of form completely are the ones for long term planning/reasoning. that's why teens think they're invisible and nothing bad can happen to 'em. They lack the brain power to judge things correctly. 18 may not even be old enough..... but at least insist nothing permanent be done while he's still legally a minor.

A tattoo at 16 might seem nice but at 30 or 50 a whole other thing........ 16 year old wanting an eagle or a wolf is like a 3 year old wanting a butterfly or a cookie on themselves..... neither one realizes the potential for long term regrets.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Probably not. Just because I know the tattoo that I wanted to get at 16, is SO not something I wanted when I actually got my first tattoo at 18.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Even if it were legal in my state, I wouldn't allow it. That said, I will be paying for my sons to get their first tattoos as long as they wait a minimum of 6 months after deciding on a design. They have to be at least 18. Preferably older. If I'd gotten what I wanted at 18, I'd be stuck with some pretty idiotic tattoos. As it is, I waited til 26 and love the ones I have.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• No I wouldn't let my kids get one. When they are not living under my roof and paying their own bills is when they can get one. Of course by then they wouldn't need my permission.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Most definitely not! I can recall plenty of things i wanted when i was 16 and now that i am 25, i say what was i thinking?? I'm glad i wasnt allowed this and that. At that age ur maturity level is just not there yet, no matter how much more mature u are than the average 16 yr old. IMO i would NOT condone a tattoo at that age. I'd probably just laugh and say when u have grown up, like really grown up let me know if u still want one AND if u still want that same tattoo, whatever it may be!
    NathansMommy218

Answer by NathansMommy218 at 4:02 AM on Jun. 9, 2010