Do you agree with the comments that parents that only have one child is more stressed the moms with a larger size family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think having a first baby is stressful and you worry alot. If they never have more, then it can seem they are always stressed as they always focused on the first and it is all new. When you have a few kids you realise you won't kill them by letting them eat cocpops for dinner, that not having a bath every single day at 6pm isn't the end of the world, and that you can't fix everything for them. I don' think they are actually less stressed with the first child, they just have a chance to show you a more relaxed side with more experience
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I agree with myheartx4. Also, it may seems like moms with more children are not as stressed sometimes because their kids can play with each other and aren't hanging over mom 24/7 like an only child might. But I really don't think that a mom with more children is less stressed than a mom with only 1, She has more kid drama to deal with!
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 4:12 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i was a mess with my first and even now I worry for him - he's 16. But with the others I am more relaxed because alot of the decisions have already been made -which school to send them to, how old before they date or have a mobile ph... the first time you make the decision you agonise, but then a precedent is set so the decisions are way easier with subsequent kids
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:21 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I think there is different stress when you have one, or when you have several. I two girls of my own (they are five years apart), a sd, and my 2 kid brothers to raise. When I had one it was all new and I worried about what to do, and if it was the right thing, ect. When I had my 2nd daughter it was like learning all over again and after having the other three land on my doorstep one day, it has put my parenting priorities into prospective. I am more relaxed about the small things.
    mrs_mac3

Answer by mrs_mac3 at 5:14 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i agree with the other posters. i have always said one is just as hard as 4! it may just be a different kind of hard.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:26 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I have number 5 on the way, and I must admit with my first I was much more stressed than with the rest! Usually a single child family puts major emphasis on perfection, and focuses on all the little things, that alone is very stressful! But God will guide everyone thru this challenge!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Really? I live in both worlds. I have one child full-time, but three stepchildren who live with us part-time. I'm way more stressed when I have four kids than when I have just my one. With three, there are more messes to clean up, more fights, more scheduling, more "reminders" (pick up your clothes, did you brush your teeth?), more LAUNDRY, more cooking, more dishes at meal times. I love my stepkids, but it is so nice and peaceful when they are not here, not because they are bad, but because they are NUMEROUS. It is nice that they play with my LO and keep him entertained, but I don't let them take charge of him anyway, so it doesn't take any work off of me. I think it's far less stressful to be a mom of one!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• That hasn't been my experience at all. I have several friends with 4+ kids and they all seem to be a lot more stressed - stressed about money, stressed about juggling everyone's activities, stressed about it being harder to take vacations etc etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• You know, I was thinking last night that this whole "parenting" thing is such a breeze - as I was shooing my 3 year old (and 3rd child) out of the kitchen with some fruit loops. When you have more than one child, your patience level sky rockets, your nerves are so shot that they're pretty much non existant, and somewhere along the way, you learn to laugh at EVERYTHING.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I have an only child and am rarely stressed out. My sister and brother each have 4 kids and they are beyond stressed most of the time. They said they love their kids but I was the smart one.lol I really cannot see a downside to having one or see how it would be more stressful.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 9, 2010