Did you child start getting cavities just shortly after seeing the dentist for the first time?

Another question on here got me thinking about when my girls were younger and the first time they went to the denist. They started at three y/o going to the dentist and just shortly after that my 3 y/o get cavities. And everytime after that they always had cavities even tho they were brushing twice a day because they pre-k they went to made them brush after bfast and I made them brush before bed and this continued after they started elem. school. I thought maybe it was the tooth paste like maybe they and the dentists had teamed up together in this scheme to cause cavities and make money (yes I have a vivid imagination), but now I'm wondering if my kids had cavities at all. They never complained and for some odd reason parents were not allowed in the back while their child was having their teeth cleaned. Am I just crazy or does this sound weird? Do you think my kids were drilled on for no reason?

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 3:53 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Health

• I don't know if someone has mentioned it but there was a scam not long ago where a dental chain wouldn't let parents back and they were holding the kids down and saying they needed procedures they didn't need just so they could charge the insurance company more. sometimes they didn't even do the work.

I always go back with my kids. And they can watch me too (except for x rays). My kids love going to the dentist. Once my daughter had a cavity and I was with her while they fixed it too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• That is a good question. I suppose it is possible, or it could also be that your kids just have bad enamel. I take my son to the same family dentist that I have been seeing since I was 3 and he lets me back there with him, except when they are trying for x-rays and he doesn't seem to have any problems with his teeth. However my friend was just saying how every time she has taken her daughter to the dentist they won't let her back with them and they said that she needs some work done (she is only 4!). My friend is going to take her to my dentist though and see if he says anything different. I wouldn't doubt that some dentist drill for no reason just for the money though.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 4:07 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• If the dentist you are taking your child to won't let you come into the room with your child, find another dentist. That is a HUGE red flag for your child's safety. My kids don't want me to stay with them (they are older), but I still go back with them and stay until they are settled, then I come and go during the procedure and talk with the hygenist and the dentist about the kids' teeth.

But, OP, I don't have an answer to your question.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 4:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My kids have been going to the dentist since they first got teeth. My 11 y/o had one cavity and i was just outside the door when they filled it. My 6 y/o has weak enamel and had cavities in six teeth. they took her into oral sugery to put caps on them. Afterwards when the doctor talked to me he said that they wernt bad enough for caps and just filled them. I trust our dentist because he has always been honest with us. Look for a pediatric dentist in your area, or at least get a second opinion.
    mrs_mac3

Answer by mrs_mac3 at 5:02 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My kids have been going for regular checkups since they were toddlers.  My oldest got her first and only cavity (so far) when she was 16 and my youngest was 12 when she had her first and only cavity (so far).

My dentist prefers that parents don't accompany kids into the examining room because they want children to become comfortable going to the dentist, however they never do any work (other than the checkup and cleaning) without consulting with the parents first.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:27 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Don't be afraid to question the dentist.  If your child has a cavity then ask to see the x-ray.  A dentist told me that my daughter's wisdom teeth were coming in.  Ok, I thought that was a little early but it is what it is, then he said they need to come out.  I asked why and he looked like I slapped him across the face.  He said that the wisdom teeth might cause her teeth to move.  I asked if they were coming in straight and if there was room for them and he said yes.  So I said that I'm not pulling perfectly good teeth because they MIGHT cause problems.  I will keep my eye on them and if they do start to cause problems then we will go back to the dentist and re-evaluate the situation but right now I'm not fixing something that isn't broken.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:36 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• It's possible I guess. If you don't trust your dentist and are not informed of things beforehand as beeky says, then I would also be looking for another dentist. Are you still helping your chidren brush their teeth before bed? My kids brush their own teeth during the day but I help them before bed. Young children have a tendency to miss spots. Neither one have had a cavity yet. Also, the more sugary the foods they eat, the more problems with plaque and caviites.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My kids have been going to the dentist since they started preschool and we have never had a problem with any of them having cavities. My children are now 8,6,and 4 and none have had a single cavity. I went to a dentist who preferred that teh parents don't go back and I said too bad, I am going anyway. He wasn't happy with it but they cannot tell you that you can't go back. After the doctor who was charged with all the sexual abuse in Mass. I believe, I will NEVER let my kids see a doctor/dentist without me. I actually take my kids back to the dentist tomorrow. Welcome summer vacation!
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 8:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My daughter is 8, we just went to he dentist & she has no cavities in fact her dentist said she had PERFCT teeth. Although, her older 1/2 sister (not my child) has had terrible teeth since the age of four. She has caps & fillings in just about all her teeth & the poor thing is only 9 years old. the only difference between them is that my DD was breastfed for two years & her sister was bottle fed. I REALLY think that bottle fed babies have a higher risk of developing cavities. All of my 3 friends who breastfed, have kids with perfect teeth. And a good chunk of my friends who bottle fed thier babies have already had to fill cavities in their children before the age of 8. Just my observation.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• it's weird that parents are not allowed while their children are with the Dr. I ALWAYS go in while she is getting checked by the dentist. I don't even ask, i just follow them back. You can always go to another dentist & see what they say.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2010