Why cloth diapers?

Why do some moms use cloth diapers? Are they better for the baby, or is it just a financial thing?
Just asking if I need to switch to cloth diapers..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's an environmental thing; you're not contributing to landfill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• So it doesn't have to do with the baby's health?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• for my older girls it was money. i didn't see the point in peeing and crap my money and then throwing it away. but we did use disposies once in a while. with our youngest we ended up donating all the disposies given to us because she is allergic to them.

also the chimecals in disposies are not good for the baby. pampers was in the news not to long ago for parents complaining of their babies getting chemical burns from their diapers. but also the stuff in the diapers are toxic anyways. personally i don't want the chance of that stuff getting in my babies mouth.

cloth don't have the risk that disposies do. and they are better for the babies skin.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 7:21 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i didn't see the point in peeing and crap my money and then throwing it away.

***
    I'm sorry, but i just don't understand your logic. How do you feel about toilet paper or feminine hygiene products?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• We just switched to part time cloth for financial and environmental reasons (mostly financial). Plus DD seems to like them more and they are oh so cute!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• For me it was an environmental thing and money. As for the comment above. Toilet paper yes I use it but i buy the kind that is recycled. Feminine Hygiene I used Artist sponges as tampons. You have to change them much more often but in the long run it's better.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:08 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

***

******

I do use toilet paper but i'm not pay the high cost that you do for diapers. and about pads because that's what i do use, i you cloth. which is more comfortable and works just as good a disposable pads but once again without all the crap that they put in them. and i know several people that use diva cups instead of tampons which once again they don't have to worry about the problems of tampons with chemicals and TSS.

right now i'm not willing to make the switch to cloth toilet paper and don't think i ever will. but for most everything else yes we have switched to cloth.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 8:13 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Lorikeet,

I don't use disposable hygene products and I use 1ply toilet paper and I believe it's from recycled paper. 

Anyways I use cloth diapers for a few different reasons.  1. Even if you use disposables you are supposed to dump any solids into the toilet which no one does 2. It's better for the environment and non of the poop leaks into the ground water.  3. it's been found that males that where diapered with disposables are more likely to have fertility issues because of the extra heat on the genitals. 

I'm sure there's more but I just woke up and half awake.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I chose cloth for my youngest because they are MUCH cheaper in the long run, they are better for the environment, and also for preventing diaper rash. I wish I would have cloth diapered my first two kids as well!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 8:13 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2010