Would you let your 13/14 year old get her belly botton pierced? My daughter wants one and I just think it's inappropriate for that age, I told her when she's 18, she can do whatever she wants with her body.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 8:27 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would not allow it .. maybe at 16 i would think about it again for a bday gift or something
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My answer to this was: you can get this done at 18, when you won't need parental consent.

I added: before you get a tattoo or piercing, imagine me with the same, because some day, you will look just like me.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Nope. the only thing I would allow on a girl is once pierced ears. Nothing on a boy. We say,the only way he's getting an ear pierced is if he's gay or becomes a pirate!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• yes. My grandma told me no but i went and did it behind her back anyways. If its something a kid really wants then they will just do it regardless if you aprove or not.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I think that if you approve it she wont have to lie and sneak around to do it! Plus 14 isnt that young! They have to experience things to learn in life!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• at least if you approve she can get it professional done rather then sneaking off behind your back and having a friend or who knows pierce it for her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Oh, and now i wish i had never gotten my belly button peirced. So, i can say my grandma was right. After i had my son everytime i tried to put my ring back in it would get infected so now i just have a nice looking hole in my stomach.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I would not allow it. And, if, as others have suggested, she should go behind your back and do it anyway, whatever she puts in that hole would be removed and the hole would grow itself back together. Parents have got to be parents. They have got to make rules and enforce them and make decisions and stand by them. A 14-year old is still a child and should not be allowed to make these kinds of decisions. So, I'm with you on this one, Mom!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:09 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Check your local laws. Here in NC, in order to get something pierced other than ears, there must be permission from the CUSTODIAL parent. AND I know the tattoo/piercing places in my town require the parent to be there, not a written note.

http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=14393
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:13 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i think i would have said the same thing as you! i would show her the posts by rkoloms and shay. when we are that young we don't think of how these things will look in the future.
    when i was 17 i wanted a tattoo. i talked to a woman that had lots of them. her advice to me was:
    hon, you are way too pretty for a tattoo. if you do get one, get it in a place where you will not see it every time you look in the mirror. think about what you will look like when your skin is wrinkly, or if you get fat. think about what you will look like when you take your child to the beach. think of what you will have to do when you wear a cocktail dress or a wedding dress. make sure it is something you will like when you are 50.
    for years and years i thought about what kind of tattoo i could get and where i would put it. i never came up with just the right thing!
    look for pics on the web of older women with belly piercings!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 9, 2010