Does anyone have proof that it is better for children to have a SAHM than to have a working mom?

Does anyone have any proof that the children of a SAHM are better off than the children of a mother that works outside the home?

I respect your opinions, but I really don't want to see them here. I don't care about your reasons for working or for staying home. I don't want to read about your happiness or unhappiness. Please don't tell me about how hard you work. I could not care less about your specific family situation. I'm looking for actual proof.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kid is happy and I work...that is proof!!!!!!!!
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• You're not going to find it. It's not that simple, not that black and white. Everyone is different and what you're talking about does not exist. Some SAHM are wonderful and spend all day with their kids, some do whatever they want and ignore the kids. Some working moms spend all evening, or whenever they are off work just being with their kids and making up for time they didn't get to see them. Some don't. All this question is going to do is stir up more trouble on a subject that needs no drama in the first place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Hey, look - a dead horse!
    Let's beat it!

lol
    Anonymous

• i agree with anon. I'm a sahm . i'm waiting till they are ready to go to school and then i'll start working again. i enjoy the sense of security it installs in them
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 9:46 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• LMAO Anon :)

Yeah, there is no proof either way, and nothing good can come from this question.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• LOL anon :44 yeah,lets do that! :-)
    If you wantPROOF, no emotions,no opinions, why are you asking HERE? Proof can be found in a STUDY---try Google.
    OMG...I can see the debates , the arguments and the hurt feelings allready.
    MY opinion: When your kids are teens, its time to go back to work. Certainly by then they won't suffer from your absence. Moms who stay home when their kids are in COLLEGE or have moved out are missing a whole lot! Being an employee and part of a work environment,part of an effort,earning their own salary is vitally important to self-esteem and empowerment. I went back to work when my kids were in their late teens and LOVED it!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i enjoy the sense of security it installs in them

This offends me as a working mom.

To answer the OP, you will not find facts here just opinions and bashing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• There is a lot of proof, as in research, that kids benefit greatly from having a stay at home parent. My Bachelor's is in Sociology and I studied this extensively. If you want to see hard proof yourself, the best thing to do is go to your nearest university library, go to the periodical section, and ask the librarian to show you the sociological and psychological journal articles. That's where you'll find study after study showing the benefits of at home parents as well as the down side to raising kids in daycare. Doing research online isn't the greatest idea. Most information on the internet today is people babbling about their own opinions on blogs, forums, etc with no research to back it up. Also, the internet is simply another media tool. The media is largely liberal. The liberals are pro feminism and the feminist movement is very anti SAHM.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:00 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• You can't prove something like that. Kids thrive in homes where they are loved whether mom and dad both work or not. I made the choice to be home with my son and love that financially we could afford that. It was fun being with him all day and I would not change it for anything. I know if at any point I would have needed to work my son would have still done well while in daycare. We would have found the best in our area and would make the most of all family time together.

I don't know if I will go back to work. I never found my self worth in my job and love the way we live now. I have my volunteer work, friends and I love to teach the women at the womens shelter how to cook. My life is full without a job and I have my own money if something were to happen and my husband left. My bio dad left me a substantial amount and it has been invested wisely so it has more than quadrupled.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• You could look at all the news stories about kids who have been abused or died while in daycares. Look at studies on kids with issues like flat heads, the majority of those cases are kids in daycare because they're less likely to be held and played with. Moms care more about their kids health. My son goes to preschool a few hours each week and twice now they've given him dairy products when they know they make him sick and he's spent the whole afternoon in the bathroom. That wouldn't happen at home.

Just use common sense. Is it better for a kid to be raised by someone who loves them or be raised in a center where they're just one of many and the staff don't really care? I'm sure there are a small minority of kids who would be better off in that situation because their mothers are crap but any decent mother will do a better job than a daycare center.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:02 AM on Jun. 9, 2010