Schedule

My daughter who is 11 mos. has been on a pretty set schedule since she was a couple mos. old, the problem is, that schedule consists of rocking her to sleep every night with a bottle after a bath. Lately she has been waking up in the middle of the night quite often for more rocking and a bottle. I also have 2 boys that I really don't remember ever waking up in the middle of the night and I also can't remember what thier bedtime routine actually was......it was a long time ago, lol and I have a bad memory......how can I break her of this current pattern, any suggestions on how to get her to go down without being rocked and a bottle.....my new baby is due in August and I need some sleep and for my 1 yr old to be on a new type of schedule by then...
Thanks =)

Liz30355

Asked by Liz30355 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies wake up. They ALL do even if you don't remember. At that age there is growth spurt, milestones, and teething. Not to mention a new baby. It won't matter what you do now, when that baby comes her sleep patterns are going to change again. You could also encounter regression...its not uncommon when children are so close in age.

If she's hungry, obviously feed her. She's still growing. Baths can be stimulatung, if you are going to try something, cut that out. As for the rocking, in my opinion, she's still a baby and needs that affection and help. Especially since soon your time is going to be occupied. If it were me, I'd continue to do it as it will not last forever. And in my eyes I would not feel right for taking away those special moments. I would deal with it. You wouldn't get much more sleep anyway. You'd be up peeing anyway!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:03 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Not all babies wake up in the middle of the night. That's not accurate. Some babies sleep through the night from day one, while others take a few months before they sleep through the night. For your situation I would suggest the following .. (I don't agree with amileegirl in most of what she said)

1. Feed her, her usual dinner of pureed food (solid if she eats it). Then give her a bottle right after her meal.
    2. Give her a bath along with the other kids. Baths can be soothing. Keep the lights down low and make sure the water is warm and the house is quiet. My kids always were very soothed by bath time.
    3. Sit down with the kids and read a book. Don't watch a movie, because that will cause them to be more awake.
    4. Then when the baby is tired, but not quite asleep put her in bed. If she fusses, just walk out of the room and let her figure it out. She'll eventually fall asleep. It's okay to let her cry for a little bit.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:10 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I agree with Amileegirl...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• All babies do wake up. Whether or not they call for their parents is another matter. Even adults wake at least once. We don't stay in deep sleep all night. There are patterns of light sleep and waking to turn over, scratch, move covers etc. We don't always remember these wakings but they do happen.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:45 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Whatever way she is getting to sleep at night is what she is going to need to help her get back to sleep when she wakes. As amilee stated, everyone wakes at night - the difference is if your child has learned to get themselves to sleep, they will roll over and do just that, like adults do. I would try a new schedule at night, putting her down very drowsy but awake after rocking for a little while. Hopefully, you will be able to shorten the rocking little by little. She may cry for a few minutes - change is hard!

Answer by missanc at 10:49 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Thanks everyone, I can handle the crying if that is what needs to happen, it's not that I don't want to continue to rock her to sleep, I love doing that but honestly it's getting very uncomfortable, she is getting bigger and so is my belly.......it takes longer to put her to sleep because I can't get her positioned right to accomodate my hugeness.....lol, current baby is sitting breach right now so she is super high up with the most of her bulk....
    Liz30355

Answer by Liz30355 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i would stop one thing at a time then the other. like stop rocking and cuddle and just give her a bottle, the after a little while, just pick her up reasure her cuddle then put her back down, then just go in and reasure and sit by her crib. worked for my SIL. goodluck
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 11:00 AM on Jun. 9, 2010