Someone, anyone, help me!

Ok, I have a terrible wisdom tooth on the top right of my mouth, it's practically rotted away with just a sharp piece left and some of the nerve is exposed. When it acts up, the pain is so terrible I can't do ANYTHING and I have 3 kids to take care of! I went to the dentist, and he obviously wants to remove it which I was ok with until he said he needs to cut it a little to get it out since there's not much to grab on to to just pull it out. When I heard that I got this intense fear, I've always been afraid of the dentist as it is. I set up the appointment to get it removed anyway, and was so nervous I started crying and chickened out. They wanted to give me laughing gas to calm me down, but I was afraid of that too. I'm scared of having to hold my mouth open for so long and being unable to swallow, and having someone with a scalpel in the back of my mouth. What's laughing gas like? And what should I do to get over this so I

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Health

• Laughing gas is the next best thing to sedation. I'm so terrified of the dentist, I have to have the gas just to get a cleaning.
    They will put a mask, like an oxygen mask, over your nose and tell you to breathe through your nose and count backwards from 10. You'll be "out" before you get to 5. You're still awake but you just don't care what they're doing. It makes the overhead lights look pretty. :-)
    They will numb your mouth after giving you the gas, so you won't be in as much pain after they take the mask off. You won't feel anything after the mask goes on, it pretty much takes away all care.
    They will most likely take it off towards the end, and it takes a few minutes for the gas to wear off, you'll have to lay there for 10-15 minutes after they take the mask off or you risk falling down. After the 10-15 minutes, it's gone, and you're good as new.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• can get this stupid thing out? Unfortunately they won't give me any pills to calm me down before the procedure. And I don't wanna be sedated, either. HELP!! :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Take the gas, I have had many root canals and too be honest I am just like you about the dentist. But really its not that bad. You may be a little soar afterwards, take 3 ibuprofen and that will take the pain away after. but it is nothing like you are going thru now, trust me! You will be glad you did it!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• And, it helps to take some ibuprofen or tylenol, whichever you prefer, about half an hour before you go in. You'll get less swelling and pain that way. I always do a couple tylenol before, then once I get home a couple ibuprofen to keep the swelling and pain away.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• have them put you to sleep.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• OP, I so know what you mean. I had the very same fear. One of my wisdom teeth the dentist was able to pull. It went so smooth I felt stupid afterwards LOL.. The other had to be cut out also so I had to go to a different dentist an oral surgeon to get it cut out and I was terrified to say the least. I had the laughing gas and it was sooo nice. The dentist was great. I had the gas and novocaine and didn't feel a thing. It went very smooth also and had a few stitches. I was able to eat and everything like nothing happened.. Letting the tooth stay in is doing more damage than the removal. If it gets infected that can bring on a whole other set of problems.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:30 AM on Jun. 9, 2010