What is the best way to counter act the negative effects of antibiotics?

My 2 year old is on his second round for ear infections.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Health

• I am not sure, but I've been told probiotic yogurt drinks are good to take while on antibiotics (sounds ridiculous huh?)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• There are OTC probiotics in the form of capsules and tablets that are more potent than the yogurt (it's like eating a dozen yogurts a day according to my dr). If you tend to get yeast infections or have digestive issues when you take antibiotics, get some of the capsules. I like the chewables that taste like strawberry milkshakes. You need to space out the anitibiotic doses and the probiotics so you don't have them interfering with each other.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• they do make a children's chewable probiotic, you can find them at health food stores. you can also get probiotics in a powder form and sprinkle it on your lo's food.
    also, be careful about using antibiotics when the ear issues could be viral.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• chiropractic can be good in preventing ear infections too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• We let the antibiotics run their course, then start a hardcore probiotic regimen. I've had antibiotics not work due to take probiotics while on anti-. happy2 is right - chiropractic is a very good part of preventative care!
    Anonymous

• Probiotics. My pedi gave my son Florastor. Though Culturelle works too. Yogurt if he'll eat it, but make sure it has the necessary live bacteria in it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I've read that you should take probiotics while on the antibiotics.
    Yes, you will probably just lose most of it, but it acts as a space holder.
    I wouldn't take them at the exact same time though.
    Anonymous