2-1/2 and very whiney and over dramatic

Now I know most mom's who see that think, oh terrible 2's but I truly think it might be his personality - he was a very colicky baby, stomach issues, food allergies, seasonal allergies, constipation issues - needless to say, we've been to the DR a ton and he's probably been over coddled at times but WOW - its driving me nuts.. If he has a piece of sand on his finger he won't try to wipe it off, he runs and whines to us saying "there's something on me... get it off" same thing if he gets kitty hair on him... he doesn't even want to wipe his own tears.. seriously.. he also stopped sleeping through the night 6 months ago and that's taking its toll on ALL of us also - I feel we are at our wits end.. sadly we feel he needs to "toughen up" a bit.. I know that sounds terrible but he seriously whines if the wind is too strong.. and when you tell him to shake it off or try to ignore his temper's, he freaks more.. what can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son was the same way- and I will admit it was because I babied him. One day I said enough (the house had to get cleaned SOMETIME and I needed my sleep to function) and made him start doing things for himself. He whined and complained the whole time but I kept to it, and now he is much better. He would wake up in the middle of the night and whine for me to stay with him and I told him no it is time for bed and went back to bed. He cried himself to sleep for a few nights, but then he realized I was not giving in and that he would be just fine. It was tough hearing him cry- but it was selfish of me to want to get up and cuddle him....he was almost 2- it was time for him to be a "big boy" and go to sleep. He has his moments- but every kid does.
    faithnseansmama

Answer by faithnseansmama at 11:04 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• yup, that my 2 1/2 year old.

I ignore it, hes becoming a littel person with his own mind, hes exploring action and reaction, he knows now he has power.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:56 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I hate to say it, but he sounds just like my 4 1/2 yr old dd. She's been this way for years now. Just sympathizing and hoping they will outgrow it . . . . .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I can't do whines. It just grates my nerves. I told him children to Talk to me, don't whine. I told them that it hurts my ears. As for drama, when they would do that I would stop and even tell the siblings to stop everything they were doing and give (the drama person) undivided attention. It embarrassed the child and he/she would stop. I've always told them if they need something, talk to me don't act out. I was a single mom and angry at their dad all the time. I didn't want to take my anger out on them and that's what drama/whining would do so I tried to nip it in the bud.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My daughter started doing this a few months ago. I can't STAND whining, at all. So I started telling her "If you want to do that, go in your room" and I ignore her whining. She's a mama's girl, so she likes to be around me all the time. She'll go in her room and pout a little more, then straighten up, and come back out. When she gets really out of control with the shrieking and yelling and such, she is made to do wall-sits. Wall-sits are NO JOKE!!! So when she's put on the wall she quiets down and gets her act together really quickly. I have stopped responding to the whining, I just say "Get at me when you're done acting like an animal" LOL She doesn't like that.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2010