Are you prepared for a disaster?

Do you have food and water storage just in case? We have 120 gallons of water and about 3 months of food. Do you?

voni681

Asked by voni681 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• It isn't healthy for water to sit unused for months at a time even if it is closed in a container. The air in the container when filled, along with the bacteria can cause the water to go bad.

To answer your question though .. we have canned foods, but not stored up for any disaster.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:04 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i have a room with tons of stuff. have about 3 months of water and 6 months of food. battaries, paper towels toilet paper, medicines like ib profine, motrin, caough meds, bandaids, sun screen, can opener, but if i run out of something like bandaides i do use them and when i can i restock my stuff.. also when i can i get another gal of water and what nots..im not prepairing for a disaster but just like being supplied on things at all times.. but if it happends............
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• well, if a tornado hits, or a hurricane, then that food and water will all be destroyed/scattered anyways

peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i'm not even sure what im suppose to be prepared for? a disaster?
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• No. The only disaster that our area is really open to, is fire, and in case of a fire, all that food and water is going to burn up anyways... I live in a valley in PA, there are no earthquakes, no tornado, no floods (I'm half a mile up hill from the river - if it floods the world is ending), no hurricanes... Fire is about it... And if we are bombed or something, the mine under us would just collapse and the food wouldn't help us anyways... So really, I see no reason. We have blankets and clothes and water in the car, just in case we are ever stranded, but beyond that nope.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• No need to store water here, we have our own well. We raise our own meat and the majority of our veggies and fruits, and I do have a stock of dry goods: flour, oatmeal, sugar, pasta, dry beans, spices. We're all set except for things that would be perishable like milk and other dairy but I do have dry milk on hand and can live without cheese, butter and eggs if need be. We also have plenty of lamps and lamp oil and candles, and wood to heat the house and plenty of blankets for cooler weather. I really should stock up a bit on vegetable oil, peanut butter, and condiments.

A disaster doesn't have to be a natural disaster or a fire. It can be personal, like losing a job or spouse. It can be man-made, like another truckers strike or loss of power. An ice storm or blizzard can cripple an area for days, not allowing for trips to the grocery store or other suppliers.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Yes, we have 80 gallons of water in water heater and plenty of SPAM.
    Anonymous

• No but I wish I was ready. My husband and I have no room for a food supply anywhere our place is really small. Right now were trying to reconfigure our kitchen to store more food.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 3:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Not a chance. I would rather die in blast than be a survivor.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2010