Why do people vote...

if they don't know what they are voting FOR???? If you don't know the candidates, why not just leave it blank?

For our local district we had two republican's running in the primary. One is a fantastic guy, with fantastic ideas and the other is a complete nutjob. Who got the most votes? The nutjob.... because his name was first! Now we have zero hope of beating stark in the fall (and I wouldn't want to elect this guy anyway)... I wish people would just pay attention!

LeanneC

Asked by LeanneC at 11:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Just because they didn't vote for who you voted for makes the guy a nutjob? Right. He's the nutjob.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

You mean there's never any nutjobs on the ballot? Tony Zirkle and Tom Metzger aren't really running for congress and they're just collective figments of everyone's imagination?  Or do you just have a very permissive definition of nutjob?  Because you can't honestly think everyone knows all about who they're voting for.  Don't believe it? Go look up how many fools thought Obama supported gay marriage.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:41 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Look how many people believed Obama would bring our troops home, NP.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:47 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• The term "nutjob" is relative. One man's nutjob is another man's perfect candidate! :)
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 11:52 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• wow I agree with you NP. but anyhoo. I think the main voters are first the staff that is on salary of this candidate, then you add all the sheep looking for a Herder; that looks or says one thing they want to hear. Then you have all the extremist Partisan politickers. Then you add all the bandwagoners who join the club cause their friends do; And then you add those who don't know what they want when they get there. I absolutely don't give a F,.. about choosing MAN to govern me. I am in no way fanatical on politics. My concern is the land and the society/nation. I vote for a Pres only, everyone else is as coulter put it; an ugly person who want to be popular.
    Anonymous

• OP you made some good points. I always feel so frustrated when there are candidates I don't know....so I am doing research now before our next election comes up.
    Anonymous

• NP- Sorry you didn't understand. I voted for Obama (and knew he didn't support gay marriage, btw) but didn't claim that McCain was a nutjob. Well, I did think Sarah Palin was a joke.

That was a joke, right?

Sure, people vote just to vote and don't understand who they are voting for. That's obvious. But I don't think that there are enough people to vote someone into congress based on just voting to vote. Whether you or I agree with who wins, the people voted. That's the way it should be.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• No, this guy is pretty crazy... anyone who saw him speak and saw the other guy speak would have voted for the other guy. This is just a small race that didn't get ANY attention because the incumbent is a shoe-in. People really just picked the name they liked best and voted, unless they actually made an effort to get to know the candidates... in which case they would have voted for the guy I voted for.

And anon :08: The pres is just a figurehead and probably less important than the congress and local candidates. You would have a much bigger impact voting in just your local races than just voting for pres. They make the decisions for our towns, cities, states, etc...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Who is the guy?
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

Just because you voted in an election with all the players being equally narcissistic but not especially psychotic doesn't mean everyone who gets on the ballot is sane and rational. How do you know whether or not the candidate she's talking about is more like McCain or more like Zirkle? You just assume that they must be like McCain.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2010