Bringing a baby to the beach

Hi! I live in Florida and my family goes to the beach a lot. I have a three month old son. I have brought him to the beach only once, on a cloudy day, for about 20 mins. I kept him covered the entire time. My husband and I are planning to go to the beach one last time this weekend (due to the oil spill). I have a huge umbrella, and a UPF hat for my son, but I am still worried that he is too young. How old were your kids the first time they went to the beach? What did you do to keep them safe from the sun?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The heat these days is way more than when I started taking my kids, I started early, just about 3 months also. You need everything you mentioned but the key is not to overstay, an hour is more than enough with lots of shade, even if it is cloudy those ultra violet rays can still go through. I live in Miami, and just last weekend the water at south beach was pristine clear and beautiful, so enjoy!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 11:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I live in Los Angeles, 1 mile from the beach, and took my sons to the beach frequently by the time they were 3 months old. Definitely the SPF, I had a little baby tent like thing that their infant seats fit into, the baby could see out, but it kept them shaded and had a screen so that sand wouldn't get in. My kids are 18, 20, and 22, so I don't even remember what it was called, and don't know if they still make them, but I loved it.

Also of course, a cooler to keep their bottles cold. Really I think you've got it covered. Relax and enjoy the beach with your baby, take lots of pictures!!

I'm sorry about the spill. I live the beach and the ocean, and I can't believe this has happened. I hope it won't be as bad as they think, and that you'll be back on the sand in no time. Love from California.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My kids wear Rash Guards and long shorts to match - they have a spf of 50 and won't "wash off" like sunscreen! Make sure he wears infant sunglasses as well to protect his eyes. Sunglasses should be worn anytime you are outside - even on a cloudy day! Check out One Step Ahead online and you will find some GREAT products for keeping your baby safe in the sun.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:33 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I think all the sunscreens say not to use under 6 months. You could put him in lightweight long sleeves and pants to protect his skin and make sure he gets plenty to drink
    Kiwi didn't go to the beach until she was 7 months and we flew to Fl to visit my dad, so we were able to use sunscreen on her. You could ask his doctor if there is a sunscreen he can use. Kiwi used Banana Boat baby spf 50 sunscreen. It is alcohol free, tear free, and water proof. It says on the back to check w/a doctor before using it on a kid under 6 months.
    Good luck, have fun!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• That was supposed to say that I LOVE the beach and the ocean.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:34 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• You are doing great. Have fun!!!!
    If i could add anything....We park on the beach and set up a tent. The tent is huge and allows us to play play play but in the shade. Its a great investment. Get one that has a zipper to keep bugs out.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:40 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I live in FL. I just heard the warning on the news today that FIVE MINUTES out there will cause damage. Please don't put your baby through that.,not to mention sand up his wazoo that you may not see.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I took my son to Florida at almost 4 months old. We went to the beach all day and I had his carseat for him to nap in, a large umbrella that i laid on it's side right behind his carseat and towel. He had sunglasses, a hat and a material swim diaper. I never used sunscreen because he was too young for it. I took him into the water in a baby float and held the umbrella over him. He never got burned had sand issues or any problem. Never even over heated. And I took him in July.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:55 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• As long as it isn't too hot.

No sunscreen. Hat, loose fitting clothing (long sleeves/pants) if in the sun that can be easily removed in the shade. Also, avoid the peak hours if you can 11a-2p You can stay out longer than 20 minutes, just don't be without shade.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• We just took my daughter for the first time this past weekend. She's almost 10 months old. Her swimsuit has a rash guard type top and I had a sunhat for her. I put sunscreen on her, though with a 3 month old, I'd probably call the pediatrician's office and get the okay to use it on a baby that young. I splashed water on her torso, arms, and legs to keep her cool and my husband dipped her hat in the water and wrung it out and put it back on her.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2010