Why do some believe the earth to be only a few thousand years old?

I am just curious as I never really read that in the bible when I studied it so I wanted to know why "some" believe it is only a few thousand years old rather than millions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know anyone who thinks the earth is only a few thousand years old. Some at Cafe Mom seem to believe it. I guess once you have had some college and been to Museums and seen the fossils,etc. from millions of years ago, it all becomes very clear. I think people take theBible literally,think it is really history....but it isn't. It is valuable for teaching morals and such, but the Bible IS a collection of stories,rumors,hear-say,after all.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• LOL I almost asked this question last week but I decided to think on it. This is what I came up with as far as the bible goes....In Genises 1 there are things being created in "7 days." For God, a "day" is 1000 years.

I do wonder how scientists come up with millions???
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:47 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I do wonder how scientists come up with millions???

Geology, radioactive decay, and observations of what is happening to other planets/planetoids in the galaxy.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:59 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i think they can only prove that humans go back few thousand of years as for things like dinosaurs they go back millions and there is proof
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• The bible never claimed that the earth is only a few thousand years old. It is the history from the beginning of creation so there is no telling how old it is. I do know that Yahweh's days, and ours are not the same as it says in: 2 Peter 3:8 Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I've always assumed something similar to what 3gig said. The bible says that the creation took place in 6 days (7th day was for rest), and it also says that 1000 days are like a day to God. So that COULD mean that the creation took a total of 6000 years... But no one really knows. Both of these examples given are given to and by people who needed to put miracles in to primitive human terms, when the truth is Creation could have taken 6Million years, or 6Billion or 6hours for all we know... The point is that it's up to interpretation. Being a believer in CGE, I lean toward the Billion year date, but I wasn't there, so I don't really know either.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• No because life went on even after Yahweh created the universe and all that is in it. All the people he made grew old and died, and their children grew old and died. Life went on. Plus we go by a pagan calendar, so we could never figure out the real age of the earth. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I do share the belief that the earth is older than we can ever fathom. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Bible literalists have estimated the age of the earth to be between 5700 and 10k years from all the chronological listings of people in the bible (so-and-so begat so-and-so). They believe the first 6 days were literal days.

You'll find a lot of fundamentalists to believe this.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• A lot more people believe it than you might think. It comes from taking the Bible literally, but they don't just ignore science, they use science and come up with different conclusions. They have found the dating methods to be innacurate, and believe that the world-wide flood is a better explenation for a lot of the Earth's geography. Personally I lean more towards a young Earth point of view, but I'm no scientist and obviously I wasn't there, so I'm not going to take a stand either way. If you are really interested I would do an internet search on young earth science and creation science.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2010