I have Bacterial Vaginoisis, I have questions.

The doctor has given me antibiotics several times for this. It keeps coming back. What causes this? Is there anything I can do to keep from getting it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Health

• You've got to talk with your doc about this. There may be some underlying problems. Maybe you aren't cleaning well, or drying well. Maybe your hubby/SO isn't cleaning well. Also, when you wipe, be careful not to start too far back, if you do, you bring bacteria from your anus forward, and that causes infections. Wash your panties by themselves, without socks, and without anyone elses undies. Wash your towels without anyone elses. Be careful not to wipe your front with the same part of the towel as you wipe your back (anus) with the towel after you shower. And be sure that if you reuse your towel that it dries all the way. Bacteria can grow an moist dark area like that. So you need to be careful.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I got it from taking the oral meds for a yeast infection. For me, every time I get BV, and treat it, immediately, I get a YI. Once treated for YI, the BV comes back. We've yet to conquer this, and I've been back and forth for 4 months with it now.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Don't douche, and don't wear thong underwear. I never did very often, either of those if ever, and still struggle with this during pregnancies.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• eat yogurt
    Anonymous

• yogurt only encourages the good bacteria to grow, and BV is an overgrowth of the good, natural bacteria. I would not advise eating more yogurt than you do now.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2010