NO epidural

How many of you Mommies gave birth with no pain medication? What was your strategy? Any tips, or little tricks? This is my second time around, and I would like to try to do it that way this time.

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Hypnobabies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had one epi birth and one natural. Hypnobabies was the difference. I loved my natural birth SO much more.
    Anonymous

• Well I didn't have an epidural, and the nurses said they gave me medicine in my IV, but it still hurt like hell. Just make sure they know you don't want any and you'll get through it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I went without any pain meds for all 5. It's simple just keep saying this will be over soon. Listen to your body don't fight the contractions. go with them and above all else breathe. yes the two short breathes with on long one does work when the pain gets bad. I even used that technique when after my hip surgery I had gotten an infection in the incision site and the Doctor pokes right through to clean it up and get swab for the lab. It helped me keep control of the pain and from passing out. Now that was painful.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I had an epidural with my first but it didn't work so I had no choice but to manage, my SO was very supportive and without him I dunno if I could've done it. I'm pregnant with my 2nd and I'm going all natural no mess I just hope I don't forget to breathe. Good luck!
    tasase

Answer by tasase at 12:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I had no meds. I did like Older, I kept saying this will be over soon and I can do it. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• On a side note you will be able to get up and do thhings much faster then others. I had the babies rested for a bit then walked to my room. The sooner you get up the faster you heal.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I had natural births and will only have natural births with any future pregnancy. It is so worth it. I may not be the best one to answer you since my deliveries were F A S T however the recovery time was quick! Both times I was up and about by that evening and ready to go home the next day. I can not compare with a delivery where an epi was used however I did have a spinal block done when I had my c-section with my twin boys. I much prefer a natural birth. Tips - find a focus item. Anything - a picture, a stuffed bear anything other than your husband (or anything that moves since you will need to really focus on it) to focus on during labor. The pain is intense but it is gone just as fast and the recovery is a lot faster IMO. You really feel part of the birth since you feel every bit of it. Good luck to you - whichever way you choose to go! :o)
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 12:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Yep, I had a drug free birth, no IV, no nothing.

My strategy was, well, just do it like it's been done for centuries - go through the pain, live it, and then it will all go away when you see your little baby, and sure enough - it was agony, and extreme - but as soon as I saw my baby I knew it was worth it, and I will do it again with my next little one who is due in October.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 12:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My first 3 were born without pain meds - not for lack of trying, but for lack of working. My first baby, I got an epidural, but it didn't work - yeah, 9lbs8oz feeling alllllll of it. Found out about a year or so later the anesthesiologist who did it was prosecuted or whatever for being addicted to and high on illegal pain meds round-the-clock, including at work - so yeah, he was probably high when he did my epi - my midwife was the one who told me about it. Anyway, baby #2, also got an epidural, but it didn't work either - probably due to the trauma of the first one not working (it messed me up a little in that area of my back). 3rd baby came too fast to even ask for an epi. So, it can easily be done, I had no other pain meds, and I'm no worse for it! I do know I'd rather give birth drug-free again than go to the dentist!!!
    Anonymous

• I didn't have an epi for my second. It wasn't by choice though. I arrived too late for one, lol. The pain was horrid, but thankfully my son came out VERY QUICKLY!!

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2010