Why did God need to rest?

I was just answering another question, and the point of the Judeo-Christian belief of creation (6days of creation and the 7th day being for rest) came up. I had never thought of this before but it hit me as I typed it... Why did God need to rest? Not that I don't think creation is a big job, but I just never pictured a God as someone who would need rest...

Just wondering what everyone thinks...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i don't know im not God
    Anonymous

• I imagine its pretty exhausting creating an entire universe!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 12:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Yeah... if he's perfect, he wouldn't ever BE tired and need rest.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Maybe it was to teach US to take a time out and enjoy our successes rather than rushing about from project to project.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 12:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Mark 2:27- states that Sabbath was made for man, not the other way around. It is a Holy day for us to rest, and be thankful to Yahweh for all that he has made for us. It is also a sign between man and Yahweh in Ezekiel 20:12,20. It will exist even in the last days Matt 24:20. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• It also states that he rested from all of the work he had done in Genesis 2:2. Meaning he was done with his work, which we too are supposed to be done with all of our work [for money] on that day [we can always spread the Good news or do Charitable things]. So to me he was setting the example. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Yay a spinoff! lol Gen 1 is short and sweet but there is SO much underlying to it if you dig and question.
    I guess all His creations were in harmony and balance.
    Every number in the bible is symbolic. So what would seven mean? Complete. This would work in harmony with the Sabbath and a day to worship The Creator. Maybe?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• The day of rest wasn't for God but for man... it is the day we are to rest.
    Anonymous

• Ihartu, when did needing or wanting some rest become equal to not perfect?
    Anonymous

• he didn't need rest. I think it was more that his work was done. I don't know really
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2010