My seven year old daughter is feeling jelous of my 8 month old baby, what can I do to make her feel better.

MariAngel82

Asked by MariAngel82 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• See if you can spend some one-on-one time w/just her. My mom and used to go on mother-daughter dates. We'd have dinner out, just the two of us, go window shopping at various stores.
    Even if you just play a game or something with her while the baby is napping, it will make her feel better.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Yes, reserve special times for you and/or her father to hang with her and do "big kid" things that the baby can't do. Make sure she gets playdates with friends. You know, just normal stuff that all kids need and want so they know they're important in their family.

I have to add, and I'm sure some people may not like this, that if you are doing all these things and she's still acting jealous, you'll just need to tell her to deal with it, that the world does NOT revolve around her. Don't coddle her over it, or she'll end up being entitled, demanding, and selfish.
    Anonymous

• It is normal. My kids are extremely jealous of each other. I do my best to spend one on one time with each. I have a special bond with each. But they have all told me on separate occasions "You love ____ more than me!" I think it is just a part of family life.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2010