if you gave up drinking??

as a religious sacrafice (or not if its for another reason) do you consider cooking with wine or liquor something thats okay or you shouldnt do it? but i would like to know more on the religious side because thats why i gave it up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i would never give up drinking!
    have fun with that!!!!!!!!! lol
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Alcohol usually burns off while cooking, so its not an issue to my t-totalling grandmother. She loves shrimp boiled in beer.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I typically don't drink anyways. The wine we have in the house is for cooking and most of the alcohol burns off(you know being ethanol and thus highly flammable), as long as you don't "sample" the wine while cooking I don't see how it is going against you giving it up.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• No it doesn't count because you are not using it to get drunk. As you were before. Blessings..
    Also GOOD for you! I gave up drinking as well!
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Did you give up alcohol, or did you give up intoxication? I think in this case there is a difference. Alcohol used in a recipe is not an intoxicant, as the alcohol burns off during the cooking process. So if you are abstaining from alcohol because you are abstaining from intoxicants, I think that would be fine. However, if you are abstaining from alcohol as a substance in any way, shape or form, technically the meal would include alcohol so you may want to avoid it.

I practice Buddhism and there is a precept against using intoxicants... for me, having penne a la vodka or something would be a religious non-issue. However, there is also a precept against killing, which some Buddhists interpret broadly to include vegetarianism. So I wouldn't eat anything with animal flesh or derivatives in it. The two cases are different because in one case you are abstaining from the effect and in the other the substance itself.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• This is probably a personal choice. Question your motive to be good or bad and you should find the answer. Can you use an alternative?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I haven't had a drink in 5 years... But I don't see any thing wrong with cooking with alcohol because the alcohol cooks out anyways. Although being allergic to wine, I don't really cook with the stuff either. But I wouldn't see a reason why you couldn't use it to cook with, you gave up alcohol - which cooks out - not food...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Growing up we wouldnt even cook with it because alcohol was a big no no in my church.

So, I would say if you are giving it up for religious sake(or any other)probably good to stay away from it in general. Even if it technically evaporates as it cooks.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• while i drink, my dad doesnt and hasnt since i can remember (its for religious reasons). he's always eaten things cooked in alcohol so long as the majority of it has cooked off. in most religions the alcohol is a no-no b/c it causes intoxication, but you cant get intoxicated by the food cooked in alcohol.

just curious, but why do you need to cook w/ alcohol? there are several websites that can give you alternatives for alcohol in recipes so you can get the flavor w/o the alcohol...plus its usually cheaper.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I don't drink for religious reasons (I'm LDS), and yes I will cook with alcohol so long as it's a recipe that will burn off the alcohol part.

I won't do recipes like a rum-cake that maintain their alcohol content.

However, if someone in my family felt that having liquor around the house was too strong of a temptation for them to drink it, then I wouldn't bother having it around at all...I'm not that attached to the fancy recipes, that it would be worth making someone's life harder for them.

Hope that helps
    Anonymous