How can I get my daughter to give up the pacifier?

My three year old, we think she has adhd and won't give up the pacifier and it's the only thing that calms her down... how can I get her to give it up?

knattie

Asked by knattie at 7:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• throw them all away and tough it out xxxooo
    Chris127

Answer by Chris127 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Is there a particular cartoon that she likes? I remember reading a great suggestion somewhere. The mom told her daughter that Elmo was having a baby and really REALLY need pacis for it. They got up all of the daughter's pacifiers, wrapped them up with a note to Elmo, and labeled it to go to "Elmo at Sesame Street". Then they took it to the post office and the mom handed the post lady the box with a note that said "Please just throw this away after we leave."

After that her daughter never wanted a paci again but sometimes would ask if Elmo had liked them for his baby :). Not sure if this would work for you, but if so I say why not give it a go? :) GOOD LUCK!!!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Just get rid of them...
    michaelsmom2005

Answer by michaelsmom2005 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• do what super nanny did and read her a story about the binky fairy that takes binkies and gives them to new born babies and what you do is have her put her binky in a decorated little bag outside on a tree and after she goes to bed take it and throw it away and before she wakes up in the morning get a toy that she has been wanting and put it in the bag and tell her the binky fairy brought her a present for being such a big girl. good luck!!!
    Eirelynsmommy

Answer by Eirelynsmommy at 7:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Ah, I agree w/ the previous poster. My daughter sucked her thumb w/ her "yogiti" (a white burp cloth). She's 3 1/2. The Yogiti Fairy came a few weeks ago, took all of the yogitis & left a note. She got to pick out a new Webkin w/ Mommy. It worked out great b/c her big sis was getting a Webkin for K graduation. She doesn't miss it! IDK if she still sucks on her thumb in her bed; every time I check on her in the night she isn't! Good luck!
    gaamom

Answer by gaamom at 8:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• It will be hard...try and reward her when she doesn't use it...good luck
    roseisme

Answer by roseisme at 8:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• What worked for us was one day it was sent to a child who didn't have one :) Really, it worked well for him. He is a giving child and he never asked about it again.
    Other people I know just throw it away without explanation. I think it is good to come up with something that they can understand and relate to. I don't know if what we did will work for you, but it may be worth a shot. Good Luck!!
    busybee914

Answer by busybee914 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Both of my guys have ADHD and the pacifier seemed to be a great comfort for them. It was the greatest obsticle that we faced until potty training began. Basically we had to find another form of comfort for them. A favorite pillow or blanket. If the little one has a need to chew..as some kids with ADHD do..check on line for special tubes and toys just for chewing behaviors. it is much more socially acceptable and will not harm their self-confidence if they are seen with the chewies in public. Good Luck.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I just took them away! My aunt had a bad problem like this and she just cut a hole in all the pacifiers so they can't get the suction and tell them they are broken. And have them throw them away. She said it really worked! Good luck! Just remember it will be hard but you will eventually get over it!
    rbade

Answer by rbade at 9:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• The broken pacies is a good idea. I told my daughter that Santa would bring more presents under the tree if she gave them up. I also used a great book called "bye, bye pacifier" for my second. Easter is coming soon maybe the Bunny will bring extra treats for trades!LOL
    Leens

Answer by Leens at 9:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2008