Are you more likely to adopt a dog from the pound/shelter or a no kill shelter?

Most government run shelters - meaning your tax dollars - kill their animals when they run out of space. There's been a change in philosophy over the last decade to create a no kill nation where every healthy dog is found a new home. Most government shelters haven't signed on, and they continue to kill their surrendered animals. More and more shelters are embracing the no kill philosophy, but it means a big change in the way things are done, and big changes take time. Some shelters just won't take that time. My question is whether you are more likely to adopt a dog or cat from a no kill shelter, or a shelter that has to kill its animals due to lack of space.

sandif

Asked by sandif at 12:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Pets

• All of my pets come from my mom's shelter, which is no kill.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I've adopted 2 dogs from municipal shelters in the past 2 years. What I do is look at all shelters in my area (county) and see what dogs fit my criteria - dog/kid friendly, no food or toy aggression. Then once I've narrowed down my list of potential dogs I bring my dogs to meet them and they pick out their new pack member. I have no preference on age, gender, breed etc. as long as they get along with my dogs and kids. One of my dogs came from a no-kill municipal shelter and the other came from a kill shelter.

In the end, it's always about what animal will fit into our household to avoid the trauma of rehoming it another time. If it's from a no-kill - great. If not, great. Either way an animal is saved. Adopting from no-kills leaves room to save another and adopting from kill shelters saves the animal you adopt. It's win/win.
    Anonymous

• I haven't gone to any shelters for my pets. My cats were born here - I had their mom and grandmother but I gave their grandmother to my sister since she was originally my sister's cat and their mom went to another woman who could handle the medical expenses (she developed a tumor in her throat and I couldn't afford the $2,000 to remove it but this woman fell in love with her and offered to take her and pay for the surgery). I found homes for all the other kittens except the two males I currently have. My dog was originally from a chihuahua rescue shelter but the man who adopted her moved and gave her to my ex-husband and then my ex-husband had to move to a new apartment and so I took her in.

I'd prefer to rescue an animal from death at a pound but overall like another poster stated it would depend on which shelter had a dog/cat that suited my household.
    Anonymous

• I adopt from both kinds. All dogs need homes. Animals from no kill shelters need homes to make room for animals who would otherwise end up at a kill shelter.
    Anonymous

• My dog from my childhood was going to be put down the DAY we got her. She was the most amazing dog I ever had. She just died this past year. She came from the pound. I would take the animal most in need as long as it was a good fit for my family.
    Anonymous

• I looked everywhere, finally found my dog at North Shore Animal League. I visited one no-kill shelter that was full of misfit dogs that should have been put down, but they were ademently NO-KILL so they HAD to save all the unadoptable dogs. Some of them where downright dangerous and needed to be in fenced in runs forever.  It was disgusting.

I'm going for best fit for my household. My dog is expected to live 12-20 years. That is not a decision I make based on politics.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2010