At what age is it good to "STOP" breastfeeding?

summabreez27

Asked by summabreez27 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• whenever you are both ready. I did it for 18 mos
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• It's up to you. I personally plan on stopping by 1 year.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• We let the kids self-wean. My ds weaned at 17 mos (I think the fact that I was pregnant again had something to do with it.) My second self-weaned shortly before age two (again, the fact that I was pregnant again probably had something to do with it.) My third self-weaned shortly before age three.

Realistically I think the 'right' age is when mom and child feel it's the right age. That's going to differ with moms and kids. Some moms are going to be uncomfortable nursing toddlers, some children are going to want to nurse longer than others. I think as long as mom and child are still willing it's fine... when either mom or child no longer wants to nurse it could be time to look at weaning.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I say whenever my child stops on his or her own. So, if that is 2 or 3 or 4...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I personally can't see breastfeeding much past two, but that's for myself. If a mother and child wanted to go beyond that, I certainly wouldn't judge! My daughters both self-weaned (13 months -- I was pg with my 2nd) and 16 months (I had a job interview in another state).
    Anonymous

• When it best suits mother and baby.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 1:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• 6 mos. is the minimum time for them to receive the immune benefits.
    Anonymous

• When you are both ready. Child-led weaning is best. My daughter was 23 months old.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2010