Question for experienced breast feeding moms...

If I were to go out and drink say two strawberry daquiris...that ARE ALCHOHOLIC...would it be okay to continue breast feeding the baby or do I have to pump and dump..if so..how many times?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Safe to drive safe to nurse. No pumping needed.

Best to feed baby, then have your drink, so that it will be a couple of hours before the baby needs to eat. Of course that means, not to slam them down in two minutes.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• The rule of thumb is if you are too drunk to drive you are too drunk to breastfeed. Beyond that enjoy your daiquiris. BTW you never have to pump and dump unless baby is missing a feeding (to relieve engorgement and to keep on your schedule). Alcohol leaves your milk in the same way it leaves your blood stream, no amount of pumping will eliminate the alcohol content.

Anonymous

• My PERSONAL rule is this: 1 to 2 drinks, nurse. Any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing. Pumping doesn't rid your milk of alcohol, so only do so if you need to relieve engorgement or keep up supply for missed feeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I would say 2 daquiris is too much to drink and then drive. It would be safe to have 1 small daquiri, but most places make them huge. Daquris have rum in them. That's far worse than having say one beer or one small glass of wine. Also, puming and dumping doesn't work. Your body keeps making milk. As long as the alcohol is in your body, your body will be making milk with alcohol in it whether you pump and dump or not. You could pump before you drink and feed that milk until the alcohol is out of your system (some say that is 4 hours some say more like 8). I simply don't risk it. I don't drink any alcohol at all when I'm BFing.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• They sell test strips at any drug store and even Wal-mart. You put a dab of breast milk on the strip and it tells you if it is safe for baby to drink.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I would get the test strips for my personal comfort.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• From the first sip of alchol it peeks in your milk 45 min. later. I would just have one to be safe and dump if any more. I had one beer a couple of weeks ago and my daughter was fine except she seemed to have not slept well that night but that could have be a coincedent also. I did my research befor I had a drink and one drink shouldnt hurt.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• The test strips are at Walgreens (our Walmart doesn't carry them so I'm not sure how many do). Again, like me and a couple other said, dumping does not rid your milk of the alcohol.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I have always gone with the "safe to drive" rule as well... If you're going out and have 2 drinks early in the night, try to stick to the 1 drink per hour rule and you'll be fine...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• "stick to the 1 drink per hour rule and you'll be fine"

How do you know this? Are you a dr or even a nurse? I can't stand it when moms give medical advice like this. If you don't know for a fact, 100%, that her baby will be fine with 2 drinks then don't tell her this.

Anonymous