At what age....

Do you start potty training? My son juslt turned a year and I'm a first time mom so I am totally lost, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she showed interest in training.18 months she wanted me to change her after every slightly wet diaper. Tried training and failed. At almost 2, she wanted to sit on the potty so we bought several different potty chairs and potty inserts until she found one she liked. Trained in 1 week with panties and pullups only at nap and night. Lots of dresses and used shamwow for clean up and waterproof mattress covers on the furniture. After 3 months of being dry all night, we ditched the pullups too. Now at 3 years, she is fully trained but will still have the occasional regression which is normal.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I got Kiwi a potty chair at 18 months. She knew what it was for, she followed me to the bathroom all the time, and knew where to go and all that. Then, I let her take the lead.
    She wanted to go to school at 3 so I told her she'd have to be out of diapers and w/out binkies.
    Three months before her third birthday, she woke up, took off her diaper, put on panties, went pee in her potty, then brought me the dry diaper and showed me the panties she was wearing and told me she peed. And that was it. That day, at nap, she wore panties and peed before she went to sleep and after she woke up. After nap that day, she threw her binkies away and said she was done. That night, she changed panties, asked for her binkies, but I reminded her she threw them away, and she just said "oh, yeah" and went to sleep and woke up dry the next morning.
    She has had 1 accident and that was when she was sick and dreamed she was on the toilet, but woke up.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Every child is different, and don't be suprised if it takes until he is three, or even later sometimes.

I started my DD at 14 months, and she did really, really well. She just turned two and is primarily day time trained (she still has accidents). I wish I would have waited a few more months to start because she really wasn't ready because she couldn't communicate that she needed to go, and she couldn't hold it for long periods of time. BUT when I tried to stop she was bummed because she liked using the potty. So I have been changing wet clothes for a few months, but that is life.. and it worked for ME, but may not for you.
    Anonymous

• Each child is different.My son didn't like having a wet diaper on and he started to take it off on his own.That is when I started him.He was easy to potty train.Make it fun.don't fuss at them for having an accident.Dance around the room, have a potty song you sing when they do it.I gave him one skittle every time.We used to say to him "Skittle for a piddle".Or when the child hides to go in their diaper, that is a sign that they are ready also.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I agree with evelyn, my DD was great when we gave her candy for going potty.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, it's when your son is ready.  I tried when mine turned 2, he did okay at trying off and on for a week or so - then nothing. He refused to use the potty.  I let it be and left it alone.  I tried again off and on by just asking him if he wanted to try, if he said no I didn't push it.  The more you push the longer it takes and the harder it is on your son.  My son wasn't fully potty trained until after he turned 3.  I thought I'd be sending him to school in pull ups, but one day it just happened.  That simple.  He made the decision and it's been great ever sense.

Good Luck!

j.Brat

Answer by j.Brat at 1:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I started at 2.5, we went straight to underwear fulltime. He was completely trained in a few days. even at night. No accidents after that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My best advice is get the potty, start reading potty time books, but let HIM lead his own "when." We started potty training my oldest at 15 months because we were under a lot of pressure from family to get him trained. We took him to the potty every hour for months and months and months... He never caught on. We tried the reward charts and treats and even bribes with cookies... But it wasn't until HE was ready that anything worked... He was 3 1/2 before he was trained. That was a LONG and HARD - very stressful for us and him - process... With his brother, we are letting him lead, and it's going much better & smoother!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• We started (in underwear) at 19 months with our first and 17 months with our second. Both were trained -- meaning NOT needing mom or dad to remind them to go -- by around 20-21 months. Some people think that sounds awful and would rather wait until they would train completely in a few days at 2, 3, 4 years old. To me, it was just fine, though. We took away underwear once they had already learned to poop in the potty, and neither of them really had poop accidents... I'm fine doing a little extra work (cleaning up pee, reminding them to go, lugging the portable potty to the park lol) for a little while to help them succeed; some people thing that's crazy. It really depends on your philosophy and how convenient and easy you want it to be. Just know that many kids do do it on their own at some point.. but there are posts on her all the time about 4 year-olds who "still aren't interested" and whose parents don't dare "push"...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• both my kids started showing an interest around 18 months, but my older dd was a little over 3 before she was fully trained including at night. My younger daughter will be 2 in September and we tell her to go, but I don't fight her if she doesn't.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2010