Do private doctors discriminate "Medicaid Patients"?

A receptionist working at a private office was asked to schedule appointments where Saturdays will be only for Private Insurance Patients. Medicaid Patients will be only seen on certain time slots. No same-day appointments for Medicaid Patients. Always ask what kind of insurance the patient have before setting an appointment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Uhm..NO..that is fact. Yearly patient questionaires reflect the same....as does patient comments to our providers. I don't give a crap if you are a nurse I won't even get into detail what I do for a living you can research that.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• What's wrong with that? Medicaid doesn't pay as well, or as on time as other insurance companies. Doctor's are in business to earn a living, so it makes sense they would do this. In fact, I'm surprised more don't stop accepting medicaid altogether.
    Anonymous

• HAHA, I don't know. But it seems to me that medicaid patients get a lot of tests and things they don't need done at the doctor's office where I work, just because they can get away with it with them. I am going to go anon so someone who works with me wont see this :)
    Anonymous

• Doctors in our area are limiting the amount of Medicaid patients they take, and some have stopped taking Medicaid altogether. It's not discrimination, it's business. Medicaid pays half to a third what commercial insurance pays. If they take too many Medicaid patients, they won't be able to meet staff salary and rent each month. If the doctor ends up bankrupt, all his patients lose out.

If you don't like your doctor's scheduling practices, you are free to find another doctor.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• They have a right to do that. Medicaid does not pay as much as other insurance.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Being on medicare myself, not medicaid, the first thing you have to ask any doctor is do you take medicare. Medicare is not the great government insurance everybody tells you it is. You have to also buy private insurance to pay for what medicare does not pay.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I just wanted to add, we have private insurance, and I have to verify that a doctor takes my insurance, too, before I can make an appt.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:43 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• A medical practice is a business, not a charity. Their staff doesn't work for free, their equipment isn't provided to the office free of charge, the utilities don't pay for themselves. Mancos is right on about this and lovin has a good point too. I have private ins. and I have to make sure that my Dr. takes my ins., or I am liable for the bill if I choose to go somewhere that doesn't accept my plan.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Many doctors office want to verify your insurance before you are seen. That way both you and they know if your insurance will pay prior to the visit. Nothing is worse than discovering after the fact that your insurance won't pay because you didn't see a doctor on their plan.
    Anonymous

• Yes they do, should they? No. There is a number you can call however, all they will say is, if they accept it and do fit you in it really doesn't count.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2010