when did your baby start sitting up?

my son is 5 and a half months old and is not sitting up yet! :( i think he could if he wanted too he just leans forward and tries to get his toes! how did u encourage them to?
and when did they start holding their own bottle?

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was about 6 months. We ended up getting him a Bumbo seat. He loved it, and it helped him a lot with the slouching thing. lol.
    He started holding his own bottle at around 8 months.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I think Nathan started sitting up on his own at about 5 months, he's 11 months and just started to hold his own bottle about 1 month ago but I think some of it had to do with laziness, he he :) Theres another baby at daycare that is about 6 days younger than him and she's not sitting up yet, he's right on target with the milestones but I think all babies follow their own pace.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Floor time is all you can do. He will sit up when he builds enough strength and balance. One day he'll be an unstable tripod, and the next sitting steady. Limit or eliminate time in baby containers, they don't encourage free movement. Wearing the baby also helps build control. Holding a bottle is tiring and is difficult when sitting (try lifting a 3 liter bottle up, tipping it to your mouth with your hands to get the idea!), it isn't a milestone. Some babies can hold it, but refuse because they want to be cuddled. Enjoy the moments of holding and feeding. It won't last and you will miss it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• well we had a umbo seat but he HATED it! he would rare back as far as possible in it. i think he hates sitting up period! :( but yea hes lazy lol
    EheartsZ07

Answer by EheartsZ07 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• bumbo**
    EheartsZ07

Answer by EheartsZ07 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i agree amilee. i wont be dissapointed if he doesnt hold his bottle, but im not gonna lie, sometimes i wish he could hold it for a few seconds. but hes a baby hes suppose to get pampered in every single way haha. thanks!
    EheartsZ07

Answer by EheartsZ07 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I wanted to note that I hate the bumbo. It forces an unnatural position buy folding them up. Babies sit in tripod fashion at first for a reason. There is no need to help them.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My son was 6 months before I could he could safely sit with nothing behind him and where he wouldn't use his hands in front of him.

He could hold his bottle at 4 months, but, he never had to. I held him and his bottle until he was off the bottle.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i assure you he's not lazy :) He doesn't have the ab strength or control. Sitting is rather complex and required strength! Ever try to sit on a stool when you are tired? Or sit up after you've been sick in bed a while?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My kids were sitting up by 4-5 months. I used to use a boppy to support them in a seated position when we were playing. I breastfed, so not sure about the bottle thing (we did supplement on occasion with a bottle, but he wasn't very used to it).

Answer by missanc at 1:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2010