Trains for kids / Cars for kids

My son has loved those hot wheels since he was 2. He's only 2-1/2 but still that is the only toy he consistantly plays with - he loves this train table at the Toy store that says is for 3 and older but its pretty expensive - are cars and trains like barbie's ? where they will still play with them til they are 6, 7 or 8 ? or will I buy yet another expensive toy he will use 3 times and be done with for the most part?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is 14...I swear, he will on occasion still play with Hot Wheels. We started buying them for him when he was 1. In fact, he got his first at his first b-day party.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My son got into trains and cars at 18 months,and still plays with them at 9

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Every child is different, so you won't really know unless your child has the opportunity to play. My son is nearly 15 and still likes to fiddle with his matchbox cars. He's more into collecting & displaying them now than actual playing, but that's how it should be - the play evolves as the child matures. Think about grown men & their "toys" (eg...race cars, classic cars, planes, etc.)
    Anonymous

• They have a train table at Target that is MUCH cheaper than ones at most "toy stores" and a train set too if you think he might be interested in it. (we bought the train tracks at Target and then bought the Thomas trains and they fit on the track)

Answer by missanc at 2:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My son was given three Thomas the Tank Engine sets by grandparents. He was done playing with them by 5 years old. My nephew is 7 and still plays with his. Depends on the kid.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My son got the startrd set for the GeoTrax train set when he was 2. He's almost 9 now and him and his sister still set up the tracks and play with it. They love it. And he still plays with his cars. Besides Legos they are about the only toy he really is interested in.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My son has a wooden train table and the Step2 plastic one. He uses the wooden one for cars and doesn't care about his trains and tracks....but he LOVES to play with the train tables at Barnes & Noble and Toys R Us, etc. So for us, it was kind of a waste.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 4:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• my boys only really played with their thomas the trains from ages 2-4. i have my 3rd boy, so we got great use out of the trains, and my dad made the train table that we still use too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My son loves to play trains but he's never much cared for the table. I'd just get the tracks and make sure he has space on the floor to play with them. The table is so small yet it's still hard for little ones to reach the middle so the floor allows them much more flexibility. He got the set for his 2nd birthday and he's now almost 5. I think he's probably played with it every day since he got them.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2010