What events do you have planned for summer with your kiddos?

I was looking into different summer camps to put my 7 and 5 year old in, but everywhere I seem to look it's for ages 6-12. So I figured I'm going to do my own "summer camp" with my kids and some cousins. The money I would have spent in a week on one of those camps I could put towards good use and do some fun things with my kids! ANY IDEAS???

Steph0309

Asked by Steph0309 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You can have themed days/weeks-jungle/water/painting/nature/the ocean etc where everthing you do is related to the theme, crafts, foods, feild trips etc. Good luck have fun!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I wish I could help you. My girls are 3 and 5 years and since we don't have a lot of money I am trying to find things inexpensive & creative to do here at hom. I am doing Preschool workbooks w/ them, planting & maintain a garden, finger painting, crafts. They are about to start keeping their own little scrapbooks. Something they both LOVE to do is play our Wii, right now their favorite game is JUST DANCE.
    eblstanford

Answer by eblstanford at 12:01 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• we like to go to the zoo. We pack a lunch and make it a day. I also have plans to take them to a botanical garden.
    mateom

Answer by mateom at 4:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Learning to sew, bake, cook and clean house (the NON-CHEMICAL activities), summer reading program at the library, going to grandparents house, camp in Indiana with the Youth Group at church (SHE's 12), Teen Vacation Bible School, sports camp in August. By that time, school will be starting again. She'll be in the 8th grade. SOME OF THESE ACTIVITIES WOULD BE AGE-APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR ELEMENTARY AGED CHILDREN! Check with your local library. Work on READING skills! As a FORMER teacher I KNOW children NEED to read in the summer OR THEY LOSE IT! USE IT OR LOSE IT!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 6:04 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Planning to go to Annual Strawberry Festival this weekend. Benjamin looks forward to the carnival rides and all the fun food, games, etc.
    avonxpress

Answer by avonxpress at 11:39 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• We have a movie theater here that does older kid movies one day a week for a buck so we do that and then it also happens to be on a tuesday so we hit taco john's for taco tuesday. We have a pool pass and also one to the science center, zoo, and another museum so we have lots of activities to do. I also have workbooks for them to work in for the grade they just completed. Two of them will be going to summer school starting in mid July through mid August and one will be at Girl Scout camp for 2 weeks, she's 7 will be 8 before camp.
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• A bin of water, add Dawn liquid and a small bottle of glycerin from the drug store, makes megga big bubbles, use weird objects as wands, coat hangers work great, be creative. Also google the recipe for homemade flubber, go on nature walks and find "treasures" Make a creative snack like mini bagles, cream cheese add raisins and pretzel sticks to make spiders. Library, museum, zoo, local pool or beach etc. Millions of things to do.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2010