Bored Toddler

My daughter is almost 14 months old. She only seems to be interested in toys for a few days and then they no longer keep her attention. She goes through this every time I bring new toys out to try to keep her busy. I have 3 other kids and a house to tend to. I can't just entertain her all day. I'm not even sure HOW to entertain her. She seems to get bored a lot and I am not sure what to do about it. As a result she always either gets into everything she shouldn't or hangs on me wanting me to hold her or nurse her.
Any ideas on how to keep her entertained?

SoniaL

Asked by SoniaL at 2:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She sounds like a normal toddler. My son was the opposite, he had the attention span of an adult and could play and pretend and keep himself entertained for hours. He is not normal in the area. In fact, most kids don't have an imagination until 18 months at least. Just try to find different activities for her to do as opposed to buying new toys.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I didn't have this problem my son has a very vivid imagination and can play for hours by himself. I would try taking her to the park or just outside there is tons of stuff out there to keep her occupied. buy a bubble machine that should do the trick. Bump
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Can you guys get out of the house for a few hours a day? I'm sure it can't be easy with that many children (I only have two and that's hard enough...)
    Whenever my kids seem bored, it's not that they don't have toys that they're interested in, it's that they can't play with toys all day long. I think sometimes they need new sights and sounds, a new environment. Is there a park you can walk to, a public library with space for little ones?
    You may also try rotating the toys. Put some away for awhile, or even put them in different places in the house, My girls get excited to find Mrs. Potatohead in their room when she has always lived in the living room lol.
    Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My son was / is like this too - I WOH but at home at nights and on the weeknds I think he expects that too - he has been walking around even looking at his toys then acts bored or starts in on whining.. I think him being my only, he's used to me tending to him too much though - I'm working on it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• my lil one carries a portable dvd player around and she can change the dvds herself..get her a little hiper puppy,lol...
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2010