Would you consider these a form of OCD?

Washing my feet right away if they touch the bare ground? I cannot stand the feel of any type of ground on my bare feet , I tippy toe around my house on the bare floor and if I feel anything on my feet I have to wash them

At night time I cannot sleep until I make sure the doors are locked, even if my husband tells me he did I still go check, even when I lock them myself I still go check to make sure I did it. I cannot just see for myself they are locked, I walk up to the door to make sure it is locked.

Before I use any form of dish or utensil in my kitchen I wash it, even if it just came out of the dishwasher, I wash it before I use it to make sure it's clean.

I've always done these things and the people around me have just dealt with it but someone else outside of the family noticed and said I was OCD, at first I wanted to laugh but then I am noticing myself how compulsive I am about these things

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Health

• I've had ocd tendencies as long as I can remember. When I was a kid I would wash my hands constantly and count things. This one's weird, but I would have to chew my food the same number of times on each side of my mouth, lol. I broke myself of those, but they have been replaced by others. I have to have everything even, the coffee table, rug, pillows, picture frames...etc. On average, I probably straighten these things about 10 times per day. I have others, but this is probably my worst. I used to do the door checking thing, but I eventually forced myself to stop. It was hard at first, but I would try to rationalize it by telling myself "you know you just checked it, DO NOT check it again, it is locked, you know it is locked". I think that as long as you don't become extreme about things, then these ocd tendencies are no big deal.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 3:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I'd say that was OCD. but I am the smae way and I have it bad. For instance, if I'm writing a letter or making a list and my pen goes out, I can't just use another pen because it won't match. I have to start all over. OR everything has to be symmetrical. I don't like things looking out of place. If I clean the house good then for days afterwards, I walk around and if one little knickknack has been moved, I have to fix it an dit just drives me crazy. I'd say you have OCD but nothing to worry about. I think everyone is a little OCD about things.
    Anonymous

• I am kinda getting on my own nerves now that I am noticing things, specially the whole locking door thing. I go check then I lay in bed wondering if the doors were really locked so i get up again..I try to tell my mind yes they are locked and you know that so why go check again but it doesn't work.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like OCD. If you don't have it real bad, if it's not taking up huge swaths of your day, you can get treated for it pretty easily.
    Anonymous

• I am the same way I double check everything...AGAIN or I check on the kids right before I go to bed then I go back and check on them again it's strange but that is how we are we all have some type of OCD in us.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My child has OCD, we all have some OCD tendencies like double checking the doors etc. OCD is really when you have thoughts that are unrealistic and uncontrollable which causes you to have compulsions to relieve the anxiety.
    It doesnt sound like OCD but there are other general anxiety disorders. Is it interfering with your daily activities? That would be a clue.
    Anonymous