For moms who use the CIO method AND who put their babies to bed on their tummy...(FYI if you don't agree with the CIO method please don't leave any comments!)

Do you let them CIO on their stomaches? I used the CIO method with my first son, and it worked great, but i always put him to sleep on his back, my newsest son always sleeps on his tummy, and i don't know if i would feel as safe letting him CIO on his tummy? So do you let them CIO on their tummys?

Mommy2JoshNJake

Asked by Mommy2JoshNJake at 3:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I put my first to sleep in a positioner and by 3 months I think he was on his tummy. My second has been put on his tummy too. our first was a hard sleeper. We tried the CIO. Some nights it was okay and some, not so much. My second sleeps MUCH better. The oldest one still wakes through the night sometimes. But to your question, if you don't feel comfortable letting him CIO on his tummy get a sleep positioner, it holds them on their sides then. If you can't find one, roll up a blanket on each side of him. But those positioners should be easy to find. Then each time you put baby down, lay them on a different side.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:43 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Wow. You want to risk SIDS in not 1 way but 2, way to go.

Anonymous

• How old is he? I let them CIO but I would never put them to bed on their belly.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I did the CIO. But I NEVER put either to sleep on their tummies. I would never be okay with my baby on his tummy before he was able to roll over onto it himself.
    (Except of course tummy time, when I would watch him)
    Blaiden

Answer by Blaiden at 3:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• OMG Annon. When we were born, they did put babies to sleep on their tummies and look how many of us lived. Drama much?
    Anonymous

• hense why i told people who don't agree to shut up..but apparently they can't read ...
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 3:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• How about you let them sleep on their tummy, cry all night if you feel like sleeping, put cereal in their bottles and forgo a carseat for holding them, put them in a walker near stairs...I mean, why not, some kids lived through that. Even though there are studies and proof that it isn't healthy.
    Anonymous

• OP, I don't agree with CIO - But I needed to add that there is not only NOTHING wrong with putting your son on his belly, but it's been proven over and over again to actually be better for their digestive health! If your baby sleeps on his belly - CIO or not - let him. As long as he is able to move his head from side to side, he has little to no risk of suffocation!

Do what you believe is best for your baby and ignore the nasty CafeMom "holier than thou" basher moms!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:43 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• oh lord....some people are SOOOO dramatic. seriously? Get a life..I asked a question to those who DIDN'T have a problem with CIO, not to YOU. go away waste your time somewhere else
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 3:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• If you know what you are going to do anyway, and you feel it is 100% safe then why are you asking in the first place? If you are asking because your gut is telling you that you that it doesn't sound safe, then don't do it.

It isn't necessarily belly sleeping itself that causes SIDS (it was known as crib death formerly by the way) it is a combination of sleeping alone in a room, bedding, bumpers, unknown/undetected issues with breathing, and mattresses. That's why the back to sleep campaign was successful. It saved those babies who would have died on their tummies. A baby who can not roll over is at a higher risk even if they can move their heads.

You've made your choice so do whatever it is you are going to do.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:02 PM on Jun. 9, 2010