question about switching from bottle to sippy?

My doctor told me to have my dd switched from a bottle to a sippy cup at 12 months. Did you still give your child a bottle after 12 months for there milk? And only juice and water in a sippy cup, Or did you put there milk in a sippy cup and completely take away bottles? Jw each moms opinions...my dd also all of her front 8 teeth so no more bottle would be ideal

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I got rid of the bottle, but, not the formula at 11 months. He could drink from the sippy well at 7 months. He was full sippy from 11 months on and quit formula at 14 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• On Kiwi's first birthday, she woke up and we put regular milk w/some sugar free chocolate nesquik in the sippy cup and gave her some eggs (one of her favorite foods) and she never looked back.
    Two weeks later, she had to have a bottle, she'd had a procedure done at the hospital and they had to put her to sleep and she had to drink something before we could leave. They didn't have spill proof cups and she wouldn't drink from a regular one (she HATED being messy) so they gave her a bottle and she screamed and threw it off the bed, yelling "not a baby!". She eventually took a few sips from it, just enough to make the nurses happy and never had a bottle again.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I wouldnt recommend masking the taste of milk with any flavoring. My doctor told me to take away one bottle and replace it with a sippy of milk, a week later take away another, and a week later take away the last. Weaning both bottle and formula at once and replacing them with cups of milk. And thats what i plan to do.
    Anonymous

• We went to sippy at 6 mos. They were soft spout and those were gone by 11 mos and she was using a straw. I am transitioning to a plain cup with a straw at the table with dinner and we are working on drinking out of a cup with complete supervision. Yes it is good for them to be gone by 1.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My doctor also advised taking them away at one. My son drinks well from a straw cup since 8 months old (hes now 11). In a couple weeks i plain to do as the op stated with taking away one bottle and replacing it with formula for a week etc. He will not drink formula from his cup. lol So that seems the best way for us...
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 7:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My doctor told me to have my son off the bottle by two. The day before his second birthday I stopped giving him a bottle. He asked for it for a few days but then he stopped. Now he wants his Elmo cup or his Cars cup lol. I just told him his bottle was lost so he had to drink a cup. Dont get me wrong, he was drinking a sippy around 7-8 months, but he used to have about 2-3 bottles of milk per day. His teeth are perfectly fine, well, so far so good lol. Just dont give him milk before bed time, and make sure you brush their teeth at night. I'd just give him water if he wants something after that. :) Just dont give in and give him the bottle once you take it away, he may whine a bit but they get over it quickly. I thought it'd be alot more complicated, lol.
    Anonymous