When does Post Partum go away?

When I had my daughter I was diagnosed with PP. Now she is 2 and I still have crazy thoughts about her. I would NEVER hurt her. NEVER but the thoughts are still there. I didn't think it would last this long. Is it normal? I'm in contact with my sister and doctor letting them both know about my thoughts more so for the safety of my DD. Anyone have it last this long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mine lasted for at least 6 months or maybe more. It was so bad that I wished I had never given birth to her. I could not imagine thinking that now (she is 4) but those thoughts ran through my head and I would cry and then be unable to care for her. I felt like such a bad person and what made it worse is that people thought that I could stop it myself. Like I WANTED to feel that way, please. I say as long as your DR knows what is going on you should be ok. Did she say you should be on meds? It is tough being a mother and sometimes being around other mothers is what you need. You will soon find out that some of what you feel is totally normal and that you are not a bad person because you feel like you are falling apart. It happens to all of us at one point. Keep talking to your DR, friends and family and I hope everything gets better.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• 2 years seems to be too long. follow up with your doc.
    Anonymous

• Its no longer considered PP,its depression now

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Your PP is most likely over, the problem is that because PP is a "mental condition" it affects the way we think and feel long term. Chances are it affected the way the two of you bonded and therefore affects things long past the point of PP.

I have a 4yo who I am having similar issues with...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I agree that it could have affected your bonding - I had PP til my son was 1 and he also have severe colic which didn't help the condition/bonding - I had somewhat the opposite thoughts and still have them as to where I am terrified to leave him and always thinking someone is going to take him or something horrible is going to happen to him, I can barely leave his side. but during my PP I had those type of thoughts as well so sometimes they do creep back. I think talking openly about it has actually helped Free me - although I keep it usually to my trusted few ( my mom )
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Have you had any treatment? Counselling, meds, natural remedies? If the depression is still there, it is still considered Post Partum Depression as the birth was the starting point ( 'Post Partum' means after pregnancy -you have PPdepression). I would go back to the dr & tell him you need some different treatment. If you don't feel like your normal self (if you can remember what that felt like), if you are still having thoughts you know are not good, then the depression isn't being managed. I know lots of people hate the idea of meds - to me, my brain has stopped making a chemical that it needs. The meds replace that chemical. No-one tells a diabetic they should try to manage without insulin, or tells them to harden up and get over it. I didn't realise how very sad I was, til I started medication & didn't feel that way anymore. There are lots to try so if one doesn't work don't give up, go back and try something else
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• The post partum period is considered to be the first six weeks after delivery.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2010