question on pap

so I got my pap results back and they were abnormal, so I have to go in for further testing. Anyone else had to deal with this while pregnant? And what exactly are they looking for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• just wants to be sure there aren't any cause for concerns, or further inspections that need to be made.

Even if you end up having some cells that need removed, they can do that during delivery, at your 6wk checkup, or anytime after you deliver if you'd rather wait. Only takes about 30mins from beginning to end, and you can walk away. You may want someone to drive you home, I know I was kinda uncomfortable... not sore, per se, but just uncomfortable. Some OBs may request it ASAP, but that doesn't mean that you have to give the OK. Just ask the severity of it when you get the test results back if they're still abnormal, and if you can wait until after you have baby. By then, the abnormalities may have gone away on their own.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• i wasnt pregnant but i had pre cancerous cells. they did a colposcopy and took biopsies. they said they didnt find anything in the biopsies though.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I had abnormal paps for 8 years. I had 2 pregnancies through that time and during them was the only time in those 8 yrs I had normal papas. But that is the opposite of the norm. My OB said since your immune system goes down when you are pregnant many women get abnormal paps. Most abnormal paps (which do = low-grade pre-cancerous cells) go away on their own. Mine were just strangely persistent. You will have to have a pap every 3 months until you get 3 normal ones in a row. Your doc may wait to do a colposcopy (I had that too) until you have had a pap after your no longer pregnant since the abnormal cells often go away when you are not.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I have had abnormal paps every few times I've been in since I was 18. They will want to do a colposcopy, basically go in with a scope and a bright light and look at your cervix. It's no cause for alarm yet. They might do a biopsy, and pending tests on the biopsies, you might have to have those cells surgically removed. The surgeries are outpatient, they give you a local anesthetic and either freeze or burn them out.

What I had was low-grade intraepithelial squamous cell changes, and they found that at my 6wk check up after DS was born. Now, 14mos later, pregnant with #2, the pap I just had done came back negative, with no abnormalities. So it might just be some inflamation like mine was when I was pregnant with DS, that was caused by a yeast infection, and the irritation it left on my cervix. There might be a polyp on it or something, but that could all be horomonal. It may be nothing to be concerned about, but your OB
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I had it but not while pregnant. It's common and easily treated but they may wait until after the pregnancy
    Anonymous

• OP HERE>>>> they said they want to do a colposcopy, but aren't sure if they want to do a biopsy because of the pregnancy.

I guess the waiting is the hardest part. They have it scheduled for my next appointment (on the 25th of this month). by then I'll be 15 1/2 weeks pregnant. I just worry, because I don't know how, if at all, this could effect the baby I'm carrying.
    Anonymous