How do I get rid of Head Lice?

My five-year-old has head lice! Do those over the counter treatments work? Anybody with tips/advice? thanks!

scnyuma

Asked by scnyuma at 4:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• The otc treatments work if you follow the directions and use them correctly. Also, you need to wash all bedding, blankets, pillows, everything in hot water, same for all stuffed animals. There is also a spray you can put on the furniture, leave on a while then vacuum it.
    Go to the store and ask at the pharmacy. It's where you'll find the stuff in most stores and they can tell you a little more about what to do and how to do it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• You can use olive oil too. Put it on and put a shower cap on preferably at bed time so the child doesn't take it off. It smothers the lice. I'd put pillows in a trash bag then spray the RID spray and tie it up for several days. Wash all bedding and use some of the OTC treatment for the laundry. If you can hang clothes out on the line for the sun to kill them that will help. Make sure you treat the whole family. kiwismommy has some good ideas as well.
    Anonymous

• Somehow, we managed to avoid lice (probably the only family on the block. Here are some remedies that I have held on to in case I need them. For prevention, mix 50% olive oil, 25% tea tree oil and 25% rosemary essential oil (you can get this at a health food store or Whole Foods); massage on scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes. To cure, you can use mayonaise or coconut oil; put on the hair, wait about 30 minutes, and comb out with a flea comb from a pet shop; follow with the prevention spray. You will need to wash bedding, clothes, pillows, etc.
    Trader Joes has a great shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and peppermint; these wouldn't hurt, and are great for adolescent, greasy, flakey, scalps

Answer by rkoloms at 4:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Also when you wash use HOT water to wash and warm water to rinse and Then over dry. Easiest to do this at the laundromat because you can do it all in one shot. Run all clothes through the dryer a 2nd time. Anything that can't be washed needs to bagged and tied off with the air pushed out for 30-60 days. I wish you luck. I had this a lot while I was a kid and even as a teenager due to where I went to school.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• AND use the small comb to get the nits out for days and days....I'm not kidding. use it for 30 days, and you should find you are all clear (as long as the bedding/etc was also washed.)
    Anonymous

• the counter treatments do work if done by instructions .i pretty much agree with everything everyone has said but you also need to spray your carpet and either wash all curtains or spray them too. i found that the raid flea and tick spray will work for carpets that is what i have always used when my kids have gotten it.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• all the ideas above are great ideas. also once you get rid of the lice, switch to a coconut oil based shampoo for the kiddos as a preventative measure. Something about the coconut is irritating to the lice. Suave makes a great kids version. Also for mom, use herbal essense coconut shampoo plus conditioner, it works great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2010