Friends...

why is it so hard to make friends? Almost all of my friends live somewhere else, like a different state or an hour away. They all have there own lives and so do I, but I feel like I should make more of an effort to keep more around. Then I think about it and some people want to hang out ALL THE TIME and I just want the weekend hang out friends because I work all week and I want to spend what little time I have during the week with my family. Will I ever have that close bond friendship or maybe that just isn't me. I love people, I am kind and considerate and love to talk and hang out....I just feel that when I do it is not with people who get me. My daughter is 4 and I have met people through her daycare but nothing that sticks or sparks an interest to know more. do you think that it may be me pushing people away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• don't know if you are pushing them away, but just because there is no spark right now, doesn't mean there is no chance of it, you barely know each other, so of course that level of comfort isn't apparent yet. Go out for Coffee with the Moms, you might see a different side, or another Mom might come along who you click with, put your name down for movie nights or social activities. I understand your week night time with family is precious but you have to be a little flexible to begin with if you want to find a friendship group. And relax - the best of my friends have come along when I wasn't looking for them, put yourself in as many social situations as possible and see what happens
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Thanks. I think I don't give enough people a chance. I never thought I was like that until I really started to watch myself.
    Anonymous

• Invite another mom out for coffee; take a. class, volunteer somewhere

Answer by rkoloms at 4:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• You could always look on Cafe Mom and see if there is a group for your zip code. Then, if there isn't, go ahead and make one! This way, you could meet up on the weekends, or whenever, with your daughter... and there might be other moms in your area who are in the same situation! Kids are a great bond, and one of the easiest ways to meet new people. If nothing else, you always talk about your kids, and that part is easy!
    Anonymous

• I feel the same way.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• actually joining Mary Kay has been the best thing in the world for my social life. I love it.
    But_Mommie

• Have you tried MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) yet? They are a wonderful group of women around the world that hold meetings for moms while the children play with other kids. You get a break and a chance to make really good friends. I've been in MOPS for 7 years now and have met some of the most amazing and dear friends there. You can visit www.mops.org and use your zip code to search for a group in your area.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 6:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2010