Silent Reflux Symptoms

I think my 5 month old may have silent reflux and I was wondering about other mothers' experiences with it. He is breastfed and we recently started feeding him carrots or sweet potatoes once a day. Here are the symptoms he has that makes me think he has it:

-poor weight gain
-fussiness at the breast, he often pulls off screaming and arching his back, refusing the breast (even though I believe he is hungry)
-some days I can't get him to nurse at all, and must pump and feed him a bottle
-runny nose most of the time
-excessive drooling
-wakes from sleep screaming
-won't sleep more than 2-3 hours at a stretch at night
-coughing when he wakes up crying

I've eliminated all dairy products from my diet for the last 3 weeks and the only thing that has helped is the runny nose.

Other people's experiences?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah, that sounds like my son- with the exception of the drooling.. but he was colic and they never did figure out what was going on with him - he now at 2-1/2 has food allergies, is lactose intolerant and needs a sufficient amount of fiber to have a stool daily. they tried reflux meds for him but it didn't make a difference so I stopped them - has he been like this since birth?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• He has been a bad sleeper from day 1, but it got worse about 2 months ago (for a while he was waking up every hour screaming). Also, around the time his sleeping got worse his eating habits changed. He went from being a great eater (nursing both sides every 2 hours) to not wanting eat, even every 3-4 hours. I started nursing him in quiet, darkened rooms, and when he falling asleep or waking up, but now that's not even working.

My family has no history of food allergies so eliminating the milk products from my diet was an act of desperation--I'm still not sure it's doing anything.

I know it won't hurt to make an appt. to see the ped. but I hate looking like the "crazy mom" who thinks her kid has every disease.
    Anonymous

• My LO was having those same symptoms when she was 5 days old. Reflux is miserable. I would talk to your doc and see if you can do anything. We started Mylanta 1cc before feedings when my LO was 5 days old, by 2 weeks she was on Zantac and by 2 mos she was on Prevacid with the Zantac. She is so bad that if she doesn't take the Prevacid daily she will projectile vomit at least twice a day. At the age of 2 she is still on the prevacid and is doing better than she would be without it. She can't eat anything acidic--tomato sauce, oranges, pineapples, etc. I wish you luck but talk to your pedi you may l like your child better if he isn't' screaming more. I promise that it does make a difference.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Yes, that sounds exactly like what I went through with my first. The back arching and pulling away at the breast is what my GI specialist told me was the dead giveaway. My son was put on Prevacid and Reglan and was a completely different child! Good luck.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Oh I should add that he almost NEVER spits up (hence the silent reflux) and is a very happy baby when he is not nursing or not trying to sleep.

Are there side effects to those reflux meds? And will my doctor need to do any invasive tests to determine if he has it?
    Anonymous

• Are there side effects to those reflux meds? And will my doctor need to do any invasive tests to determine if he has it?

Previcid can be constipating, so I skipped the cereals for my sons. That was the only side effect we had. Reglan can cause a reaction that makes the child act "rusty" but Benedryl will clear it immediately out of the system if that happens. Not many kids react that way. My doctor saw the way my oldest son acted when he was nursing and said he didn't want to put him through any tests. He started him on meds and said we would test if the symptoms didn't improve. When my youngest was born and started having reflux symptoms, we just went ahead and started him on meds too.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My daughter has reflux and that might be it. Does your child choke randomly? Like not even remotely close to a feeding? My daughter had reflux and we couldnt figure it out, and then my mom noticed the baby would choke for a second randomy throughout the day. I have acid reflux so I know that is the acid and food coming back up into your esophagus. Good luck. Def. get it looked at. Acid relux def. needs to be treated.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 11:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2010