6 month old with bad Cold Please Help!

Our son has had a horrible cold for over a month now he was on amoxicillion because he had a sinus infection and it cleared up while on the medicine but a couple days after the medicine ended he got worse again. He is so congested that he can not sleep at night. I have tried everything saline drops sucking out his nose, having him in the steamy bathroom, sleeping him upright and a humidifier nothing is working. Is there anything i can give him that would at least help him sleep since he is so congested? I found this site online that says i can give him Robittusion night time relief says its for 6month plus http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089204.asp but when i went to the store to get it said it wasn't allowed for kids under 6yrs so i'm confused. Would vicks vapor rub help him at all ? I called and asked the Dr put they wont tell me anything...so frustrating

malibu79

Asked by malibu79 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call your pediatrician. Dont take anyones advice on how much medicine to give you child on here! They will be able to tell you if and how much you can give him. I dont know what else you can do to help him. If its an infection he needs antibiotics, vicks wont help. GL
    Anonymous

• When my kids were little and congested I would use a few drops of euccalyptus oil. I got a hot water bottle, filled it with boiling water and wrapped a light hand towel around it. I put a few drops of oil on it. I put it in the room where my child was so its in the air and they could breath it in. It works great. No putting anything on the baby which is great!! To this day we still use this in our family.

Hope this helps. Another thought, could there be something your little one is allergic to? Feel free to message me if you want, I've had 5 kids so I've lots of experience!!
    Healthytomorrow

Answer by Healthytomorrow at 5:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• The one thing that I have found that really helps, in addition to what you are already doing, is baby vicks vapor rub on the feet and cover with socks or footy pjs . It has really helped my all of my kids. In fact, I did it on myself and I loved it.

I would not use robitussin on a 6 month old. Call your pediatrician and see if they can or will recommend something. These days it is not common to offer anything but tylenol/ibuprofen to a young child.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2010