Thoughts on Birth Control options? (Mirena, Patch, etc.)

I want to get Mirena after my son is born. I can't handle anymore kids right now, two is plenty for me. I was on the pill when I got pregnant with number two and my doctor said she thinks that the pill just won't work well for me.

Is an IUD the next best option? Any thoughts on an IUD, the patch, etc?

I prefer to avoid Implanon or the Depo shot..

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 5:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I personally have decided to go with the more permanent form of birth control. I am doing the essure procedure. I'm pregnant with my 4th...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I got Mirena IUD after I had my DD (she just turned two last week) and it has worked well for me. I have gained about 20 lbs, but I'm not sure if that is from the IUD or if it is because I'm lazy (haha) but besides that, I really don't have any other negative things like that, but I love it. I haven't had a period in like a year.. which is pretty amazing. but I have worried about being preg because I dont get it.. So there are good and bads but I like it!
    Anonymous

• Paraguard. It's an IUD with no hormones. The Mirena has had lots of issues.
    Anonymous

• I would look into the Paragard IUD since it is not hormonal and a lot of women have issues with the hormones in Mirena. I have done the pill, patch, nuvaring, depo, and the Paragard. I love the Paragard and when this one is removed I am getting another one and that will take me into menopause. This way neither DH nor I have done anything permanent in case things change in the future for us.
    Anonymous

• I have mirena and I like it so far. I got it 3 weeks ago. Having it inserted wasn't bad, the worst part was them taking the clamp that opens your cevix out (not the speculum). That day I had instant demonic pms and I've spotted off and on since but nothing unbearable. I love that I have 5 years before I have to worry about it.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I got the Mirena when my daughter was 7 weeks. She's 10 months now and so far I haven't had any problems. I haven't gained any weight.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2010