Baby shower for 2nd..

Ok, I have been under the impression that (especially as long as your kids are born within a few years of each other) you don't have a shower for baby number two, three, etc. My DD is 2 and I am 33 weeks preg with #2 (boy) and everyone keeps telling me I should have another shower, but I'm not sure if I want to. My mom is insiting on having one because "every child is special" but in reality we dont need much, and we can just get the things we need on our own (a lot of my family doesn't have a whole lot of $$ as it is, with my DD we literally bought EVERYTHING big on our own.. my parents helped out quite a bit, but all I got from my extended family is clothing). Anyhow.. is there a polite way to just tell them no, or should I just go ahead and let them throw it for me, even though I don't "believe" in it? :-/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think that a baby shower for the 1st is fine and a BABY SPRINKLE for the 2nd, 3rd.... is great. The party is in celebration of the BABY NOT THE MOM and not for the gifts. If you feel more comfortable it can be a 'meet the baby' party after the birth.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• YOu can always have a welcome party after the baby comes.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My cousin insisted on throwing a shower for me when I was pregnant with my twins. The thought of a shower stressed me out, and I really didn't want to do it. She wouldn't take no for an answer, so I agreed to have a small co-ed family only BBQ/baby shower. I bought most of the big things I thought we needed, so high dollar gifts weren't really an option. Family members who wanted to spend more bought multiple gifts or gave us gift cards. It turned out to be a nice shower and I didn't feel guilty about begging since I only invited close family members who had already asked me what we needed.

Anonymous

• you can have a second shower when you have a child of the opposite sex...
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 6:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• It's not right having another shower. I'd be careful having a welcome party too since people bring germs and the baby doesn't need all that exposure
    Anonymous

• I would have to say it's whatever you feel comfortable with. If you want to say no, that's fine. Showers are to help first time parents with things for baby and to offer advice. I will never understand where the idea that they are to "celebrate" the baby came from.
    Anonymous

• In our family we have a "welcome baby" party after the subsequent children are born to celebrate the baby. My SIL is having a girl after 3 boys (all about 2 years apart) so she is having a shower this time, but only asking for clothes and other girly things since she has the main things from the other kids still.
    Anonymous

• my sister insisted on giving me one this time! this is my 2nd child but they are 6 yrs apart and different sex so for me it works because I have NOTHING from when my son was a baby... lol but i think it is up to you, if they want to give you one let them there are a lot of ppl that have a shower with each pregnany just to have a party for the baby!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• you can always have a diapers party for the other children. That's my plan. I'm pregnant again, but we don't really need anything either for this one. But everyone can always use diapers. It's affordable for others too. Diapers and wipes are always useful ; ).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I have 4 kids and had a shower for 3 of them. I didn't plan any of them, they were complete surprises :) My mom always said, you shouldn't have multiple showers, but my friends and sisters wanted to do it as a surprise. I say if they want to throw you one let them! If you really don't want to then tell them!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 9:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2010